Prospecting in creeks, which detector should I buy ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Im coming over again in April and want to do some prospecting, the family has a huge area in NSW with lots of creeks, found a couple of small nuggets by eye whilst scratching around so thought I would hit it with a metal detector. Thought about a Garrett AT Gold, would this do the job ? Also thought I would buy it in AU, I see I can pick one up for around $1100.

by eye in NSW!? wow! impressed!
have heard of this in the rush days but not so much anymore
best of "British luck ;-)

I have had an AT Gold for a year or so, but never found gold with it. I'm not sure if I even swung it over gold for starters, but I use it for coin shooting mostly these days. The SDC 2300 is the bees knees for small gold under water...

Pommy said:
Hi all, Im coming over again in April and want to do some prospecting, the family has a huge area in NSW with lots of creeks, found a couple of small nuggets by eye whilst scratching around so thought I would hit it with a metal detector. Thought about a Garrett AT Gold, would this do the job ? Also thought I would buy it in AU, I see I can pick one up for around $1100.

Hi Pommy,

See my other post to Bobby here:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=135312#p135312

Just because its a creek it doesn't mean it is any different to other areas of dirt. It will still contain a lot/if not more junk targets. Metal detecting creeks is tricky as there can be a lot more overburden in the creek bed and your coils can take a harsher battering with the rocks and debris than in other areas.

Get a gold pan $20.

Study up on Loaming. Look for a book on it by Sam Cash.

Have fun.

Hope you find a tonne of gold. :D

Cheers,

Grant

You could Buy the Whites TDI SL Before you Go or wait till you get there and buy the Whites SPP which Is A Less Complicated Version of the TDI SL,

Where abouts are you In The UK??

John

Latest posts