Port drinkers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peterau said:
Hi Headsup, yeah semi sweet. Stones, now theres a blast from the past. When I was a kid overnight fishing, bleary eyed and freezin with my mates, stones was the cheap go to for that "warm buzz in the guts". Worked. Now wouldnt do either, not stones or overnighters. From distant memory both were pretty rough.

yup

The ginger wine isnt something i would take to a barbecue but on a cold winters night its faster to take a sip of that than to brew a bad cup of coffee

i have little recollection on other brews such as brandy or rum coz i didnt get rip roaring paralytic drunk on anything for about 28 years and my memory is a bit hazy

dwt said:
Old tawney port cant remember the brand name, fruity, smooth, easy on the pallette......................THE FIRST TIME DOWN, the second time, gassy, chunky, and burnt my pallette, :mad:

you should have taken it back 90 % empty and asked for your money back

:D

peterau said:
I got hooked on plum port when I was staying/detecting at Avoca. Gynneth winery at moonabel, sell it at the Avoca market also.Had six bottles delivered to my place only this week. Me and the missus have a nip after dinner. Nice stuff. :D

I will order some of that and consult with my taste buds

I made plum wine when I was a kid , and honestly its still the nicest wine I have ever tasted so I am keen to find out what it can be as a port

:D

Quinta De La Rosa, Portugal, Ruby, is a very nice drop

for some reason cant drink a tawney, taste like raisens

Galway pipe is a good one. Still remember when they used to put the year on the bottles. It also used to be the port served at Richmond RAAF.

Still remember a vintage port from Jasper Valley, bought it when the winery started, that port was opened 25 years later and it was so smooth. :)

HeadsUp said:
Anyone like to share opinions on their favourite bottles ?

I dont mind the Galway pipe either....what was the one that came in a black bottle with that red wax lid? It was nice also.

..... It was BENJAMIN Port :)

Do you guys know where you can buy Benjamin port? I've looked everywhere, and googling just found me this post and some bottle shops in the USA. It's my dads favourite.

Best way to enjoy a port is drinking it out of a port pipe...
1409573411_image.jpg

A few mths ago Greg got me onto McWilliams's Premium selection Tawny :D not bad besides a camp fire, having one now :)

Port was the first thing I drank way too much of, was so bad my Mum said I'd punished myself and there was no need for additional punishment. Still can't drink the stuff. Wish I could, it smells nice.

we have function at work once a MTH and that's all they serve, some of it taste like its been there for years

Bought my first bottle of port in Grade 5 at primary school, told the fella it was for my Dad and that I would be in trouble if I did not come home with it! Went camping that weekend with my school mate and got shattered for the first time, didn't throw up at all, and can still drink port now. Did anyone start earlier than that?

That's gold Silver :D
Never got toasted in grade 5 but fair tipsy - yes :rolleyes:
Mate n me raided his parents liquor cabinet a couple of lunchtimes during school.
Chinzano, Drops on the Rocks are some of the names I remember.
Haha! Good times

Definitely real adventures back then at that age Ag Man, lots of exploration around town as well( drains and towers).

9 - 10 years old , wagging school with a mate , raiding the parents liquor cabinet and trying everything from creme de menth , brandy , scotch , baileys , tia maria ........

no wonder i ended up an alcoholic after i left school , or was that from the home brewed beer , wine and saki i was making from 10 - 12 years old ?

"its okay in moderation"

silver said:
Definitely real adventures back then at that age Ag Man, lots of exploration around town as well( drains and towers).

For sure!
Same here. Used to roam under the town & wait till someone walked nearby the drain pit & make scary noises to freak them out :D
Racecourse towers was as game as I got with heights tho 8.(

Church tower with mates for me, scary noises only happened when I grew up.

casper said:
Any of the Rutherglen region fortified wines are great. For me its Stanton & Killeen Liquor Muscat ... the Nectar of the Gods, just like liquid raisons.

Casper

I can't find liquor muscat on their website . Is it the same thing as rutherglen classic muscat , rutherglen tawny , or rutherglen topaque ?

Latest posts