Planned burns in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With all the smoke hanging around Melbourne today, it reminded me that DEPI (the new DSE) has all of the planned burns detailed on the department's website - http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fire-and-emergencies/planned-burns The Fire Operations Plan (FOP) link on the page has details of the future burns.

Not only useful for avoiding areas but also to get into freshly burnt goldfields before everyone else does ;)

You can view the data as a spreadsheet or as a zoomable map of the areas you're interested in.

Thanks Lindt, gotta mate who does the burns, got his toes toasted a couple months ago, as he was over eager, silly bugger, Scrubby

I've seen people detecting in area's still smoking, went back about a week later melted skid plates all over place. LOL

A burn off was done quite a few years ago not far from where the "hand of faith" was found,didnt have enough fingers and toes to count the prospectors out there the next day, man there was some serious detector interference going on,almost a few scraps too with so many people in the one area, had the mrs with me so we just bailed and went back a few days later and scored 2 nice .4 gram pieces with my 3000 and small coil, its a good way to find gold after a burn off.

I agree great way to find gold. But people should at least wait for heat & smoke to stop. It is common sense so equipment is not damaged & safety. I always wait at least a week as I don't like burnt toes.

Latest posts