pin pointing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my pin pointer last time I went over to the GT, and it was a help in finding the crap in a the hole quickly, had it been a nugget, this would have made for a happy story. But yeah I reckon it was handy, not essential, but handy.

I got my pin pointer with the GPX package, I find it useful when I'm using bigger coils and the target is deep, speeds up recovery definitely.

WalnLiz said:
Pros and cons each way i guess, and most serous operators will have used the best ones on the market ;) .....but if you're serious you will have a good quality rare earth magnet on the pick to eliminate all the ferrous rubbish. The one on my pick will pick up nails and small pieces of rusty tin from 8 inches away. Agree to use whatever tools available, .....spend 50 bucks on a "Quality" rare earth magnet would be my first investment.

Wal

does the magnet stay put when you are digging hard Wal?

I walked too close to my truck the other day with my pick (and the magnet on the blade)cradled loosely in arm and it jumped about 4 inches and attached itself to the trucks side. :lol: Took a massive amount of effort to get it off without doing too much damage to the paintwork. My magnets slightly smaller than what Wals talking about and it stays on the blade when digging no problems PK. Even when digging rock, so the size of the one Wals talking about would be almost impossible to get off the blade i would imagine.

Thanks Wal and nucopia, I just bought one. I think it will compliment my pick quite nicely in these high trash areas.

P.K. said:
WalnLiz said:
Pros and cons each way i guess, and most serous operators will have used the best ones on the market ;) .....but if you're serious you will have a good quality rare earth magnet on the pick to eliminate all the ferrous rubbish. The one on my pick will pick up nails and small pieces of rusty tin from 8 inches away. Agree to use whatever tools available, .....spend 50 bucks on a "Quality" rare earth magnet would be my first investment.

Wal

does the magnet stay put when you are digging hard Wal?

Mine stays on the blade at all times and is not easy to remove. All ferrous bits in the hole literally "jump" onto the pick and 99% of the time my target in the scoop is either yellow or grey in colour......the grey ones are as usual.. "Disappointing". :/

thanks for all the replies, already own rare earth magnets and fully intend to locate one or two on my pick,was only going to glue one to handle but after reading these posts might put one on metal end too. ,might invest in a pinpointer when money permits

Ridge Runner said:
nicko61 said:
Hi, have been looking at lots of you tube gold finding video's and cant help noticing none of the people finding the bigger nugets or lots of nugs seem to use pin pointers,
Are they a waste of money?

I wouldn't go detecting without one, They speed up locating the target 10 fold, and when the hole is deep and you can't get the coil in there that's when they come into their own,

As usual, I never thought of that one; but after the experience of using one of such bad quality, I'll invest in the scotch.

w3bgold said:

I think for what Wal is describing above you need a magnet with at least 20kg pulling/holding force up to around 40kg. I don't think hard drive magnets would be up at that but would be ok for a basic, low cost set up.

SunriseBoy said:
mbasko said:

Is it simply attached to the end of the pick by its own magnetism?

Yep those bigger ones just attach straight to the pick head. Very hard to get off once on there & watch fingers.
I prefer countersunk ones screwed onto the pick handle myself but you can put a larger, more powerful one on the pick head.
I'm currently looking at finding some high powered blocks to put on a rake to try & magnetise the tines to pick up iron trash while raking.

Yeah sunriseboy, just put em on the back (or front) of the blade somewhere. No need to be attached at the end of the wooden handle as some do.

Latest posts