Parkes / Forbes NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys has anyone had any luck out Forbes/Parkes way? I know it's gold country and there are lots of mines but 99% is private property farmland.
Just wondering if anyone else has been out this way?

Anyone can give me a hint on where to look? Every where seems to be private property :(

Mackka said:
Don't go under the telescope in Forbes mate you might get fried.
Mackka :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're quite safe under the telescope at Forbes :D :D , but don't go under the one just outside of Parkes

Hi all.

I'm new to the addiction of gold and have been making the trips to Adelong for the chunky river gold. I am just wondering if there are any people around Forves or Parkes that are able to put me in the right direction to save the drive. My theory is there has to be gold somewhere here as the old timers didn't just dig 60 metres in the hope to find it, so where could I fossick/detect/pan within a reasonable distance. My next spot will be near young I think but if there's somewhere within half an hlur to an hours drive I'd be stoked.

Cheers
PhoenixGold

Check Minview

1563881454_parkes.jpg

You need to research whether private property, National Park or SF

Damn - had to edit as link for minview did not work

Just google Minview and check the map
You can add the layers you want

Tathradj, my understanding is that it is ore. Am I wrong in thinking this? Don't want to try get on a property to find it all has to be processed rather than finding the odd nigget here or there

When I was a kid there used to an old gold mine at the end of the council pool covered with tin. I can remember getting gold in the hills and creeks around Bumberry dam but I don't know if that is taboo nowadays. I think if you try out and about the gullies and hills on the outskirts of Parkes you may get a result.

Go along Billabong creek to east and south of town , go out to the Welcome causeway I used to dredge our there many years ago the bottom is hard take a crow bar and do some paning sluicing, also beside the the newel highway bridge over the Billabong Ck.

robmoto said:
Go along Billabong creek to east and south of town , go out to the Welcome causeway I used to dredge our there many years ago the bottom is hard take a crow bar and do some paning sluicing, also beside the the newel highway bridge over the Billabong Ck.

Where abouts is the welcome? I keep hearing about it but can only find welcome road

I am in the parkes area now, I have never been panning before or fossicking but would really like to try. when i jump on minveiw it has alot of highlighted areas that seem to be areas that are offlimits because someone already has the right to own the minerals within the zones.

I am having a hard time understanding where i can actually go to try find some gold legally.

A friend owns land out near vaughan ridge mine on the border of the national park.

it also seems like someone else owns the right to that area its all shaded in on minveiw in that area.

can we still legally pan on private property even if someone else owns the right to the minerals on the land can the gold be sold if we found any?

Rharr said:
I am in the parkes area now, I have never been panning before or fossicking but would really like to try. when i jump on minveiw it has alot of highlighted areas that seem to be areas that are offlimits because someone already has the right to own the minerals within the zones.

I am having a hard time understanding where i can actually go to try find some gold legally.

A friend owns land out near vaughan ridge mine on the border of the national park.

it also seems like someone else owns the right to that area its all shaded in on minveiw in that area.

can we still legally pan on private property even if someone else owns the right to the minerals on the land can the gold be sold if we found any?
That area is heavily covered by Exploration Licences.
As it's not in a gazetted Fossicking District (can be viewed as a layer on Minview) then by rights to fossick you need permission from the Exploration Licence holder/s regardless of whether it's public or private land. :rolleyes:
You can find the Exploration Licence holder details on Minview.
Realistically if there is no active exploration occurring then I doubt you'd have any issues fossicking or with finds (unless very big & known about) but it's still not 100% legal to do it as such. It's a load of red tape BS really & most Exploration Licence holders won't even get back to you. Best case scenario would be writing to council to ask about having the local government area declared a fossicking district &/or contacting NAPFA for assistance https://www.napfa.net/
National Parks in NSW are generally off limits to any fossicking or detecting at all so be aware of those boundaries also.
I'm not familiar with the area's public land that might be available for fossicking or even whether it's worthwhile in the area but NAPFA may be able to help with that too?
I know that there is gold there, not sure of any shallow alluvial areas. The deep leads run under the town & shafts were up to 70m deep.
I worked on shutdowns at North Parkes Gold/Copper Mine about ~20years ago but never looked to do any fossicking around there.

1626330158_f37cb22328cdf7ecf417f665d4fbb180.jpeg.jpg

Latest posts