Outback Campers Hume Camper Trailer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been looking at camper trailers for a while, wanting to upgrade from the tent, recently went to Leisure Fest in Melbourne and had the opportunity to check out quite a number of camper trailer manufacturers side by side so see what you get for your money. It was actually quite surprising to see the difference in quality between some of the brands. The most noticeable was the quality (or lack of) of the cheap imported canvas compared to the Australian made stuff.

Probably a bit late to ask if anyone has had any experience with Outback Campers as we've already ordered it, but just wondering if anyone has any feedback or advice.

The model we went for is the Hume which is an on-road model. We asked a fair few questions and we told if we can tow a 6x4 trailer into the places we go, which is currently the case, than this will go there no problems. We drive a Subaru Forester so crazy full on off-roading isn't something we do, so spending all the extra money on a fully blow off-road camper seemed a bit of a waste. Took the options for 12v kit, front lockable storage, stone guard, carpet lining inside the trailer and annexe walls. With a bit of luck it should only be a week or two away from being ready!

http://www.outbackcampers.com.au/hume-camper.asp

Adam

Beagleboy said:
It looks like a nice camper. How long does it take to set up?

Your not supposed to ask questions like that Beagleboy, cos it depends on many factors like the weather. Is it pissing down with rain???
What sort of mood is the Handbrake (mrs) in at the time.Did you err in not stopping back there for her, as you were anxious to arrive and get setup.
Have the bits of sticky tape with the numbers on them, fallen of the poles.
Why wont the bloody thing go backwards (i am on full lock).
Yes the joys of camping!!!! :p

I actually solved the problem of camping. Its 27 ft long, causes my 100 series to suck huge amounts of fuel but when i arrive at my destination i just open the fridge. ;)

Fun for me is camping with my camper trailer up a trail into gold country where a caravan cannot go, and spending
a week or more not seeing another human, not hearing generators or other disturbances

Beagleboy said:

Ok I've actually timed this now!

Pulled up at campsite, good weather, daytime (so light is fine) and no real wind. Me and the wife are putting it up so obviously a bit quicker than if you were doing it on your own.

**NOTE this is only the second time I've put the camper up so I'm assuming as I get better at it it might get a little faster.

Start the clock.
1) Disconnect trailer from car (inc chains, and trailer plug)
2) Roll into position, level and wind down legs
3) Lay out shadecloth underneath where camper will fold out (haven't done this before but was recommended as a good idea)
4) Take off the cover, fold out camper and peg out the base
5) Get inside and extend all poles as required and install step for bed
Check the clock 13 minutes 28 seconds. At this point if we were stopping overnight its ready to sleep in!

6) Fold over the awning
7) Extend poles to the correct height (measured against the camper to get the height right sides and centre) total of 5 poles, two each side and one middle.
8) Fit ropes and peg out
9) Double check all ropes (7) are tensioned properly and awning is nice a level \ even
10) Clip on draft gaurd around back of trailer.
11) Zip on annexe walls to awning and fix velcro straps
Check the clock 28 minutes 40 seconds. At this point the camper is fully up, annexe pegged out with two walls and the draft guard fitted.

p.s. forgot that I also did a super quick run around with the leaf rake to clean up rocks and twigs etc. between putting the camper in position and laying down the shadecloth.

thats not a bad effort, been tossing up going to a camper, but what to do with the collection of tents i've accumulated over the years :)

elbowgrease said:
Beagleboy said:

Ok I've actually timed this now!

Pulled up at campsite, good weather, daytime (so light is fine) and no real wind. Me and the wife are putting it up so obviously a bit quicker than if you were doing it on your own.

**NOTE this is only the second time I've put the camper up so I'm assuming as I get better at it it might get a little faster.

Start the clock.
1) Disconnect trailer from car (inc chains, and trailer plug)
2) Roll into position, level and wind down legs
3) Lay out shadecloth underneath where camper will fold out (haven't done this before but was recommended as a good idea)
4) Take off the cover, fold out camper and peg out the base
5) Get inside and extend all poles as required and install step for bed
Check the clock 13 minutes 28 seconds. At this point if we were stopping overnight its ready to sleep in!

6) Fold over the awning
7) Extend poles to the correct height (measured against the camper to get the height right sides and centre) total of 5 poles, two each side and one middle.
8) Fit ropes and peg out
9) Double check all ropes (7) are tensioned properly and awning is nice a level \ even
10) Clip on draft gaurd around back of trailer.
11) Zip on annexe walls to awning and fix velcro straps
Check the clock 28 minutes 40 seconds. At this point the camper is fully up, annexe pegged out with two walls and the draft guard fitted.

Thanks for the post. I reckon I could not put my tent up that quick. These trailers are great. :)

I've done the 4x4 & caravan thing,didn't get used enough so sold them, I now have a Tourlite camper Trailer, which I tow behind a small car, takes 15 minutes from pulling up to having a cuppa, or a beer.

G0lddigg@ said:
thats not a bad effort, been tossing up going to a camper, but what to do with the collection of tents i've accumulated over the years :)

Haha we were the same, got tents, an assortment of bedding, inflatable mats, air mattresses, stretcher beds and the like, but in the end the camper trumps the lot. A squillion times easier and faster to set up, now all the spare stuff is for the friends and family if they decide to do the occasional camping trip here or there so its not being wasted, just "re-purposed"

well I think you have me convinced to be honest I wouldn't mine the extra room in the shed , now i just have to convince the missus :) wouldn't mind getting a 4wd version though it would suck if I had to take it off every time you wanted to go bush suppose you can always drive to suit though.

G0lddigg@ said:
well I think you have me convinced to be honest I wouldn't mine the extra room in the shed , now i just have to convince the missus :) wouldn't mind getting a 4wd version though it would suck if I had to take it off every time you wanted to go bush suppose you can always drive to suit though.

The places out in the bush we camp are all bumpy bush tracks and up until now we've just towed a 6x4 trailer in with camping \ prospecting gear. The folks at Outback Campers said if we can tow a 6x4 trailer in to the places we go with no problems than the on-road camper will have no problems getting in their either.

The off-road model have stronger suspension and more clearance so better suit more serious off-road conditions and 4wd'ing, rutted tracks and the like.

slowflow said:
Just how good is it not to be sleeping on the ground!!
Looks Fabulous & not too hard on the Subie.

Yer the subie tows it no drama at all, no problems doing the limit even with hills about. I thought it was great with stretcher beds being up off the ground in the tent, but the cold still gets you from underneath. The camper trailer is fantastic. The other week when we were camping it was fresh overnight, but an open sleeping bag was enough to be comfortably warm, no cold whatsoever from underneath, with being a couple feet up off the ground, a timber base underneath, a foam mattress, fitted sheet and a thin quilt being cold is a thing of the past!

elbowgrease said:
G0lddigg@ said:

The places out in the bush we camp are all bumpy bush tracks and up until now we've just towed a 6x4 trailer in with camping \ prospecting gear. The folks at Outback Campers said if we can tow a 6x4 trailer in to the places we go with no problems than the on-road camper will have no problems getting in their either.

The off-road model have stronger suspension and more clearance so better suit more serious off-road conditions and 4wd'ing, rutted tracks and the like.

sweet probably get away with the standard then thanks for the info mate

Latest posts