Old Sawmill Town

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MYSPOT

Steve
Reaction score
Hello All,

Went to have a look around an old sawmill town site today(1910-1920) have Dug many old bottles at this site before but decided to have a look around as this place had an old horse race track and oval also.

Well couple of hours and the normal bit of junk, I did pick up 3 nice old coins with the 5000.

Picked up a 1912 penny and a 1907 half penny badly worn and a very badly worn 1870 half penny. Also picked up a nice brass plaque that cleaned up very well. Ran out of daylight so will have to go back another weekend.

1374931522_img_1203_opt-2.jpg

1374930809_img_1205.jpg

chow

Awesome finds myspot! The plague turned pretty good!old sawmills have some great stuff!

Sure do Jaden,

Now I just have to wait for the DSE to start their control burn offs, so the ground is nice and smooth.

Yeah I'm hearing ya myspot, me and a mate were thinking about taking his ride on mower out to the old sawmill I know off to get the grass down, there is some good spots where we have got coins but are getting covered up by lantana and vines. So maybe the ride on might fix some of that! :cool:

Naa no need for that,

If its just weeds, give it a good spray at the start of a sunny day then go back in two weeks and it will all be sitting on the ground.
But I tell ya, I hoping to get back to the GT this weekend for a quick swing for a day and a half. ( weather permitting) otherwise back to the sawmill site friday night with swags and all.

chow

I live near Newcastle close to a place called East Maitland. Great little area with plenty of old areas around to detect. Pity the gold ain't a little closer but I often head up to nundle near tamworth to look for gold! It's a great place if you haven't been and I reckon the next big strike is going to come from there. How about yourself Myspot?

Well I have been working a patch in the Golden Triangle for the last six months, it just keeps on producing nuggets around the .5gm. But since I have now started to rake the area I am now picking up bits over a gram. They just keep on popping out, with the gain set low and a very smooth threshold and going very very slow the 5k is working a treat.
Most good spots for me are about 3 hours + drive, I am located 2 hours east of Melbourne, thanks for your input and good luck on your outings.

Cool, sounds like your onto a great spot. I hope the more you detect it, the bigger the nuggets get. I'm amazed at the amount of times I see people find gold and then wander of the spot before they have done it thoroughly. Best place to find gold is where you have already found it before! Good luck with your Patch and ill look forward to hearing about more of your finds!

Great finds, the plaque looks great really puts a story to the finds. Should try look it up and find some photos of the place to go with it :)

Yep Farmeroz,

Its all part of the journey and all bits tell a story, maybe its was raining or maybe that coin was under a big tree root.
Who knows, but I have to got back to the salt mine tomorrow ( aka work )

chow

Hello,
Well I couldn't help myself today, and we went back to the old mill site. My wife was armed with the old XT17000 and I was using my GPX5000 when all of a sudden she was waving her hands and yelling at me to come over. At first I thought she had been bitten by a bull-ant? but no she had just pulled her very first coin. A nice 1916 one penny and then a broach, she then pinpointed another target and told me to dig, and out popped a 1915 one penny.
I picked up all the normal junk ( ship loads) many more targets in the ground but the day was getting on so we had to go.
1375012519_img_1207_opt.jpg

1375013062_img_1208_opt.jpg

Awesome!!! That's some great finds! Makes me want to head out this week. It's funny how many harmonica reeds turn up! It must have been a mighty musical time back then! Hehehe :cool:

Those harmonica reeds must be made of mighty material, see then a lot in youtube vids from prospectors.
Nice finds Mr. & Mrs. Myspot :D

Ah yeh ok, I have missed it.

Are you guys talking that thingy with the slots in it, I have boxes of this junk and heaps of those slotted thingys.

The misses has made a list of all old parks in the area to check out while I'm at work ( grrrr ) , I can smell the need for a CTX3030 coming on or just an excuse to get one.

Great finds MYSPOT. When you find places like the old saw mill, they never seem to stop giving up the goods, no matter how many times you go there! Harmonica reeds seem to be ever where. But at least when you find one you know you're in an old area.