old bugger

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
75 this year been prospecting since 1971 seen a lot of mates drop of the perch but you have to keep pluging i havent found much gold in the last 2 years have to try a bit harder by the way that is not a photo of me i look a lot older good luck to you all JB

Your going great guns ol'fella. My old man's 75 and in a nursing home against his will. He had knee replacement surgery and being the stubbon ol bugger he is he went back to work when he was told to retire and his legs swelled up. The doc put him in a nursing home for pyhso and now he's better they won't let him leave.
Good luck with your search for gold and keep on pluggin on.
:) Mick

3 of my mates have a pool going that i wont make 45.......its up to a carton of KB,MB...i have to pay of course!!!!
nice work johnb, im sure prospecting since 71 you would of seen some really cool stuff that just aint around anymore :cool:

Well done JohnB...your the closest thing to the Oldtimers we have. Hope you continue to find the yellow for many years to come

Cheers,

75 hah, I just hope to make 55. Sheet to still be out looking at that age you'd want good ground, well done and don't stop. On another forum I view a bloke's mum(77) got taken out on a ski slope, broken ribs and other injuries, but hats off for still doing it

Keep going mate, my FIL is 84, can't handle his 2000 for very long but regularly comes out carrying the pick for me.
and oh boy, can he read the ground. 8)

Mr T the knees are okay the back is the problem thats why I am making a painless gold pan that is one you can use standing up I will let you know how it turns out when finished

Thank you john b for sharing your trials and tribulations of life with us, Itoo like you, are now in our ""Twilight YEARS, AGE 82 THIS YEAR, I have been prospecting most of my life, won the N.T GOLD PANNING CHAMPIONSHIP AT PINE CREEK N.T IN 2000, "AS THIS MY FIRST MESSAGE AND AT MY AGE, I WILL BE LEAVING FOR W, A IN A WEEK OR TWO, YES WE WILL BE WAVING THE "Magic eye on the stick"but as a cartoonist and air brush Artist"" I will doing shows in the outback teaching at schools and aboriginal communities during our travels, this trip will the 2nd trip around aussie " in the last few years ,so this old chap " is still on the go "" God has blessed me with with good health" for this I am ever grateful " take care where ever yougo, what ever you do, cheers beers and happy years to all "Chalky""

Well done old timers and chalky I see your up in the wee hours reading forums.
I named my son after a opal miner who was still going down the hole at 83 with his wife of 79.
Well last year I chased up the story of what happened to Kevin and blow me up he went until 93!
Always said he will die when he stops mining and sure enough following doctors orders he left lightning ridge for Sydney and pasted soon after.

Sorry, IAm new member, and as yet, I am still trying to work out how to send, and receive messages on the formum"" for the many humorous comments, these I just love, as a "" free lance cartoonist and air brush artist, I think in a comical manner, can easily visualize and bring to to life these cartoons , wifey "" and I have been so busy copying and printing a big batch of my original art work , then laminating , this art we sell along way over to the west, suplementing fuel costs and etc, to all you folk out there, when I find out how to send pictures from this tablet I will do so, ?? As I told you we are off in the near future, tell me anyone know if a 120 watt solar panel will run a 3 way frig, on 12 volts ?? Other load would be led lights, estimated on bright sunny days, through back up battery system, any comments would be appreciated, as yet, I not connected the unit up, ??thank you take care CHalky""

chalkyg33 said:
Sorry, IAm new member, and as yet, I am still trying to work out how to send, and receive messages on the formum"" for the many humorous comments, these I just love, as a "" free lance cartoonist and air brush artist, I think in a comical manner, can easily visualize and bring to to life these cartoons , wifey "" and I have been so busy copying and printing a big batch of my original art work , then laminating , this art we sell along way over to the west, suplementing fuel costs and etc, to all you folk out there, when I find out how to send pictures from this tablet I will do so, ?? As I told you we are off in the near future, tell me anyone know if a 120 watt solar panel will run a 3 way frig, on 12 volts ?? Other load would be led lights, estimated on bright sunny days, through back up battery system, any comments would be appreciated, as yet, I not connected the unit up, ??thank you take care CHalky""

Onya Chalky. :| bring on some of you work. could be a good market for us art aficionados. :D

A 120 watt could keep up during the day with sun but would kill your bat at night. I run mine on gas and turning it down to 1 or 2 helps save gas, a quick clean with a tooth brush around the jet carefully helps the burn on old ones.
You could swap from one to another to save gas watching the voltage all the time, but really one flat battery and it's life is shorten a lot and gas is cheap.
I know that sounds odd but at a dollar a day you would have to run a new 12 volt fridge for years before pay off, when you already have a fridge.
Enjoy your freedom and look forward to some comical drawings of miners etc. Des.

G'day Chalky, I agree with Dezman about running the fridge on gas, I just checked my overnight usage and running 24v fridge, 12v tv, one led light, 24v diesel heater(draws less than 1 amp) and 1 1/2 minutes of microwave, I've used about 15 a/hrs @ 24v. My 1000 watts of panels handle this fine on sunny days, but overcast days I have to fire up the generator to top up the batteries. But then then I'm in Ararat, and it's winter.
Mal

Latest posts