nugget for a test target

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
does anyone use a gold nugget as a test target. im thinking of buying a 1gram nugget to use for my detector as a test target as I want to make sure its not missing any and because I still haven't found my first nugget yet.

Depends on what detector you have. For my 4500 I just use small buckshot to check that all's operational. I once knocked the coil mode from mono into cancel with a green trowel in my pocket. Lost about an hour's worth of detecting. My bright young direction finding daughter noted it (the buckshot had no signal), switched back and we started finding gold again. What a duffer! I lost to Dig'n-it big time that day.

I also used to use a nugget before I was confident with my detector. Now if i remember I'll take a bit of lead shot with me for testing. I find if I've been finding a lot of lead in a days detecting and come across a gold target it really jumps out at me by comparison almost like iron trash. No biggie as I dig it all up anyway but could be detrimental for those who discriminate by ear.

I use a half grammer I found with my 4500. Every now and then, when its a quiet day or im getting emi/ground noise, I chuck it 1 meter or 2 ahead, just to hear it and keep me on my toes. Its in a plastic ear bud case.

1465046788_20160604_1057561.jpg
1465046816_20160604_1058241.jpg

For a 2300 you don't really need a test nugget, but for 5000 with big coils or Z owners, I would suggest a 2 to 5 oz or bigger test nugget and bury it at about 2 feet or more :)

Latest posts