NSW Nuggets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's an impressive list. The average size is mind boggling and all without a metal detector ;)

Very impressive ...
As Moneybox says all without a metal detector...

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Heatho said:
Not entirely without detectors, the "Fathers Day" nugget from Ophir was found with a detector, I'm pretty sure of that. :)
Yep apparently stuck in a tree root in line of sight of the original area of gold being discovered. I thought I'd seen somewhere that the Rita's Dream nugget was too but the details are a bit sketchy. Seen it reported as "location unknown" too.
There was another nice lump found with a detector near Stuart Town, 1980's I think?, but not listed.
The list only shows an example of nuggets found & reported to the Mines Dept. - I'd imagine lots haven't been + know that many 1 ounce plus nuggets have been found with detectors even just locally in more recent times. There was a specimen found in Central West NSW not too long ago that yielded over 140 ounces or 4300 grams. It's still out there 8)
Lot more red tape nowadays too - diggings like the oldtimers aren't really feasible or even allowable now.

Cutzgold 03 said:
Is there any good spots over near mudgee to go detecting !!!
Nah the property owners reckon the oldtimers got it all. :lol:
Lot's of private property to navigate around Mudgee. Hill End, Hargraves, Windeyer have public land with easier access.

Great list, thanks for posting! Still plenty of big stuff coming out of the Central West :)

Heatho said:
Not entirely without detectors, the "Fathers Day" nugget from Ophir was found with a detector, I'm pretty sure of that. :)

Hi Heatho
Just wanted to say that the Fathers Day nugget found by Peter Culverson in Ophir wasnt found with a detector.
I was fortunate enough to hear the story from Peter himself during one of my trips out there.
Cheers
ChrisM

Heatho said:
Ahhh ok Chris, no worries, cheers for setting me straight on that one. :)

Heatho, so can you fill us in on the story, did it come out of the mine or close to the surface where a detector may have got , I herd a story the other day and would like to compare yours .

Latest posts