noisy sea hunter

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all just looking for some replies from anyone who has the sea hunter mk ll are they dead quite in the water at the beach coz mine gives off noise every time u sweep side to side any info would great cheers

Possibly your threshold is not set according to the ground/sand mineralisation?
I'm not a pro just a suggestion.
BigSam

My Infinium had the same issue falsing in the water, the coil cable must be secured so there is no movement of the cable where the cable runs from the coil onto the shaft, and the first 12" or so of the bottom black section, otherwise you will get falsing from the water moving the cable slightly. This especially occurs with the mono coils.

Phil from the gold mining centre, who has lots of experience with the Infinium (and owns one), recommended to me to loop the cable from the coil cable guard to around to the back of the shaft, allowing some excess cable to for decent movement when pivoting the coil. Then run the cable STRAIGHT, up the back of the black section of the shaft to the start of the metal section of the shaft, then coil it up to the control box. I use electrical tape as it will allow for nil movement of the cable vs a couple of velcro ties.

The DD coils on the infinium don't seem to be too fussed with this issue, hope that helps. :)

On another note, don't let your batteries run too low, I try to replace my rechargeables after every hunt. The reason being, especially with rechargeables, when they get close to running low, the battery check may still give several beeps indicating that they are still good, but the charge on rechargeables tends to drop off very quickly when near exhaustion. This will be followed with erratic behavior from the infinium, giving off continual hi/lo signals as if there was bad emi or issues with the detector or connections. Replace the batteries with fresh ones, and all good again - had this issue the other night detecting wet sand at the low tide mark. :)

Other things to watch out for are the connections on the headphones and coils - ensure that none of the pins are bent, and ensure that the pins are actually going into the connection holes vs into the surround of the connector. Also ensure the connections don't come loose whilst detecting, as this can also cause falsing (been there, done that). Another hint is also to only do up the battery door until it is just starting feel tight, don't overtighten it as it will both be hard to open, and deform the rubber o-ring sealing the control box compartment.

Mac urban, I have a problem with my Under Water Detector(that's its brand name as well), it now has a piece of wood taped to the shaft to keep everything still(and it still has the same problem).I think my cable must be fatigued inside the plastic near the coil, mines all sealed up permanently(connections as well from factory). I'd have to rip mine apart somehow, but it sounds like you can just undo yours(if you can't find any other solution maybe get your cable checked).

I'll check it silver I know mine isn't fatigued as it's only 6weeks old my mates test his tomorrow for its first go so I'll see how his goes and I'll post the outcome

Make sure your coil wire is not wrapped around the first 12"

From coil upwards. Just twist cable once on the bottom near

Coil then run straight Up the shaft about 12" then wrap around

again. The sea hunter sweep needs to be Slow not fast.

If the water is not dead flat and there are ripples from tides like

4" high will effect the machine because as the minerals from the

Salt moves up 4" these clash with the pulses.

Make sure the cables are tied to the stem properly.

Take the machine to a park or beach and place on the

Floor. Now slighty move the cable where it

Comes out of coil and do the same from machine end.

Is there any noise?

Some other questions for you..

Is the sea hunter a new machine?

If not what condition is the Coil? If it has small holes

Its time to resin the bottom again.

Also what size is the coil?

Sorry for late reply wolfau I tried all that and still crap so its back at garrett getting looked at its been 8 days and they still haven't touched it yet so garrett usa are getting an e mail expressing my feelings towards there product and service.

Did the detector false when touching the connector plug for the coil or on the headphone connection, as it could be a shielding issue if that is the case?

I've heard the turn around for detectors through can be pretty lengthy on occasions, sometimes up to a few weeks, that's what happens when the guys dealing with the detectors don't actually fix them, unlike the previous distributor who sold and personally repaired all garrett detectors he sold! :rolleyes:

Yep tried all that I just got a dud garrett better come to the party or else I'll be very p !ssed off I wont be buying any garrett stuff any more :mad:

Yeah, the infinium isn't exactly what I would call an easy detector to use if you expect dead quiet operation, with no falsing, and easy setup. It is quite pedantic on how everything is connected, strapped on, and environment it is used in. Takes a while to figure out its little traits, they don't like near flat batteries, results in lots of falsing, sometimes the mono loops go haywire and you just have rebalance or let the coil sit on the sand to calm down.

Another very common issue is bent plug pins, I see on mine that the previous owner screwed the connectors in, with either of the pins protruding into the rubber plug surround vs into the female plug hole. It is a common complaint that results in partial operation, but with continuous falsing, something to definitely look out for, and very easy to stuff up. I physically have to look to ensure that the pins go where they should when changing coils, or reconnecting the headphones. The DD coils are inherently much more stable and quieter than the monos, but pretty sure the sea hunter coils are all monos anyway.

My mates sea hunter he just bought 2 weeks ago runs dead quite so mines at garrett as we speak it's been there for 8 days and they haven't even bothered to look at it if I don't get a call by Wednesday I'm asking for a refund

Looks like my infinium is going back to the shop to get fixed, continually falses on all coils, but pretty sure it is due to a loose connector plug on the back of the unit, possibly with a dodgy internal connection. At least I can simply drop ot off to get fixed by someone with plenty of experience on repairing these machines, likely to be a day turnaround, albeit not under warranty. ;)

Mac you could have a faulty coil.

PI's operating in the water, the water

Must be dead flat otherwise the water ripples

Can effect the machine by falsing.

Phil at GMC in SA can advise u further.

That should be GMC, not GMT! :p Yep, if no joy from garrett, Phil might help out or at least properly diagnose the issue and fix it.

Just got word it sounds like its a loose wire in the headphones they are testing it in the drink in a couple of days I'll what and see what the outcome is .

Looks like the shielding on the control box plug has come adrift inside my infinium, causing the continuois falsing. Going to cost about $75 to fix, as it requires full disassembly, repairs and new seals, so that is pretty reasonable.

Garrett are sending me a new machine they couldn't figure it out thanks again for all your advice and help fellow forum members much appreciated cheers all...

Latest posts