Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. brand spanking new to this hobbie. i have looked into gold prospecting and did some research.
i have bought a Garrett at gold and all tools to go with it. i also have purchased a copy of gold atlas of Victoria.
All of which is on its way. My focus will be on the golden triangle. I have no idea where to start or how to go about it.
some advice would be much appreciated, one of which is detailed gold maps - etc.

Im sure you will get plenty of help and advice Dzoni , as far as detailed maps i guess depends on how detailed you were after.
There is also a search button up top to help find any topics you require.
Welcome to PA.

Gaz

Welcome to the ATGold club buddy :8 I haven't had a chance to look for natural gold yet but makes an awesome coin shooter especially in junky locations ;)
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=237
Best advise would be learn to use it before you go bush and wander aimlessly digging holes everywhere
When I started in parks tried all metal :mad: :mad: :lol: went to descrim 1 and :mad: :mad: :lol: foil and ring pulls aren't jewellery :mad: :lol:
went to coin mode and cha ching :cool: :cool: :cool:
sensitive machine even on the tiny aluminum foil slaw ;)

From one newbie to another. Welcome mate. Great bunch of peeps on here that'll be more than happy to help you through your gold seeking journey.

received my at gold yesterday. and today decided to go for a drive to wombat state forest. drove like 5 hours in out of dirt roads that lead to nowhere in particular.
lots of bush land, but all scrub surface. came home so disappointed. i don't have a flaming clue where to go. HELPPPPPPPPPPP ...........

Geovic is your friend. Play around with different layers. Then check out google earth as a cross reference. Helps to narrow things down.

Mate you need to check out Minelab Gold's thread in metal detecting for gold.

It'll be a good start but also check out Loamers thread in the same place, metal detectors for gold..

Also research the area's you intend to visit before you visit, doesn't guarantee gold but will improve your chances and at least point you in the right direction.

Best of luck and don't give up it's out there.

Forgot to mention you can also join your local prospecting club and the PMAV.

By joining your local prospecting club you will meet like minded people who are willing to help new comers to the hobbie.

dzoni said:
received my at gold yesterday. and today decided to go for a drive to wombat state forest. drove like 5 hours in out of dirt roads that lead to nowhere in particular.
lots of bush land, but all scrub surface. came home so disappointed. i don't have a flaming clue where to go. HELPPPPPPPPPPP ...........
How did the ATG go? did it ground balance up nicely? did you dig anything? If your digging junk in a gold bearing area could be a good sign no ones been there detecting before :/

Hey dzoni, welcome aboard PA!

Mate as R M Outback has mentioned, the more work you put in researching, the less aimless hunting you'll have.

We'd all love someone to give us the GPS co-ordinates to a few good nuggets, but doing your own work will teach you so much more, and be more gratifying when you finally find your first colour.

Most of the work has been done for you anyway, just follow the well documented paths of the old timers (15mins on Google will point you there), and you'll find yourself on gold baring land. Maybe even put the detector down for a few trips and go and sit in a creek with a pan, it's probably going to help find gold more quickly anyway.

We all get a bit crazy with Gold fever at times, but take some time to stop and smell the roses too, enjoy the whole experience. Sitting in a gently flowing creek, with nature all around you is a pretty cool thing on it's own. If you listen carefully, you may hear the ghosts of the old timers whisper a few secrets in your ears ;)

Keep an eye out in the meet up section too, you may be able toi meet up with a few other prospectors in your area

Good Luck

i went to Castlemaine today. drove around the whole Forrest. went threw every dirt track possible. that place has been done to death. i don't think there is a place there that is untouched. i also went to wombat and Lederberg state forest yesterday, i have done a lot of research considering i am totally new to this hobby. but feel like i am still going out there blind.
i am very happy with my at gold. very easy to use once you do your homework and watch the video tutorials 10 times like i have lol. performed really good out on the field and would recommend it. one word of advice - don't go metal detecting with steel cap work boots, the at gold went of every time i swept near my feet haha.
a couple of things i recommend to people is take a shit load of water and get a fly screen hat. and a car phone charger, that gps helped heaps.

p.s how do you ad photos
and turn on notifications
oh and where is the start new topic. cant find it.

peace :D