Newbie keen for some experience!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm very new to this fun prospecting and am the first in my small group of friends to have acquired this curiosity. I've bought a few pans from aussie disposals online and have some buckets and shovels. My question is whether anyone would be keen to take me on as an extra pair of hands on their fossicking adventure, as this may be a more fun than bringing my lethargic homeworthy college friends.

I live in West Pennant Hills, Sydney, and can drive if required but would prefer meeting somewhere and tagging along.

I'm a 24 year old Asian male, 5 foot 7, happy to get down and dirty with the heavy stuff, happy to let you keep whatever is found, just graduated medical doctor and profusely apologetic if this post is in the wrong part of the forum or not allowed in general!

Cheers,

Charles

Welcome to PA Charles. I'm down in Vic so can't help regards tag alongs but good luck with your prospecting and congrats and best of luck with your career.

Hi Boirefish and welcome to our world. :) :)
Congratulations on your Career attainment.
Fantastic, Now if we go prospecting and you come along, We will feel
very safe knowing we have a doctor on hand.
I would say that you will get quite a few invite's. :lol: :lol:
Oh, In my books, The gold you find you keep. And if you were me and you did not have any luck,
You would get a small surprise when you unpacked your gear.
Keep an eye on the Members meetups area when you attain 10 post's. We have a few running and
they are not a great distance from Sydney.
Doug.

Thanks for the very warm welcome guys,

After a brief search I've found my local club is only 20 minutes away and meet on the first Tuesday of every month - Parramatta Prospectors Home Club Inc. Just missed the meet by two days. I'm sure I could still get in contact with them before they head out!

Would that be the meet up section of the forum referred to, or is there more? I'm quite content with the information found so far and it should be enough to get me out into the wilderness soon.

The help is much appreciated, and hopefully I'll have something to show for it soon.

Cheers,

Charles

What are you interested in fossicking for Charles, Gold or Sapphires and other gemstones? You can always meet up with members by posting in or reading the Members Meetups section. Pretty much every weekend someone will be going to the goldfields or gemfields within about 3-4 hours of Sydney. Sometimes there will be groups and anyone is generally welcome to copme along. It's a great way to meet other members and make friends into the same hobby.

There is a members only section that will open up when you have more than 10 post's.
You are more than welcome. :) :)
And you will find us more entertaining than Dorm mates. PMSL.

@Doug, fantastic, that was exactly what I was looking for. Ingenius way to get new people involved.

@Heatho, preferably gold, but I'm happy with anything just want to be out in the fresh air. Any bounty is a bonus

@Jaros, thank you good sir

@nucopia maybe I'll message you first ;)

And now time for me to provide some entertainment to the general forum! See you all soon.

Charles

you need oallen ford best place to start practice at home with a small bit of lead in your pan with dirt helps to get the feel for panning so when you get there you have some idea what to do I found it hard first time panning gold so I stick to sapphires mostly but I am keen to try gold again each type of prospecting is different heaps to learn good times when you make your first find big trill

Thank you for the info Richo. That's actually what I've been going for. We have a small stream at the very back of our property so I've gone down there for a few test pans. The mosquitoes get me every time, but I feel definite improvement after sorting several spadefuls of stones, clay and sand into sand and eventually black sand. Albeit no gold, given the region, but the practice has been priceless!

And I can't help but notice sapphires being mentioned frequently around here. Are they common in the area? I'm keen on finding anything and everything

Charles

Boirefish said:
Thank you for the info Richo. That's actually what I've been going for. We have a small stream at the very back of our property so I've gone down there for a few test pans. The mosquitoes get me every time, but I feel definite improvement after sorting several spadefuls of stones, clay and sand into sand and eventually black sand. Albeit no gold, given the region, but the practice has been priceless!

And I can't help but notice sapphires being mentioned frequently around here. Are they common in the area? I'm keen on finding anything and everything

Charles

There are a few spots within about 3 hours of Sydney where Sapphires can be found. These are Grabben Gullen ck near Crookwell, Sapphire Bend at Black Springs near Oberon and Porters Retreat near Black Springs.

I normally go to Inverell in Northern NSW for Sapphires though as they are generally way more plentiful up that way. Sapphire Bend is pretty good as there are always other people there fossicking on weekends, usually others will be helpful and are usually happy to help newbies find a few stones. The stones there are small but excellent colour usually.

If u really want to fine tune ur panning skills i recommend Diggertoms concentrates, very reasonably priced and with the guarantee of some colour to show at the end of it, in my experience, suprisingly good amounts of colour...Before u ask, no im not on commission lol but its the way that i learnt to pan and can happily say im glad i did, certainly taught me alot about patience and working down the cons to a point that i was confident enough when i ventured out i wasnt leaving behind more than i was taking home which beforehand i more than likely would have been lol.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13090

Heatho said:
There are a few spots within about 3 hours of Sydney where Sapphires can be found. These are Grabben Gullen ck near Crookwell, Sapphire Bend at Black Springs near Oberon and Porters Retreat near Black Springs.

I normally go to Inverell in Northern NSW for Sapphires though as they are generally way more plentiful up that way. Sapphire Bend is pretty good as there are always other people there fossicking on weekends, usually others will be helpful and are usually happy to help newbies find a few stones. The stones there are small but excellent colour usually.

I'm adding sapphire bend and Grabben Gullen to my list of places to prospect. Going to look up some tutorials on sapphires first

richo966 said:
different places for different things watch wal and liz videos all will be revealed ;)

are their videos from general Youtube or the member's youtube videos subforum? I've had a look through the forum and didn't find any posters named wal and liz

y4k said:
If u really want to fine tune ur panning skills i recommend Diggertoms concentrates, very reasonably priced and with the guarantee of some colour to show at the end of it, in my experience, suprisingly good amounts of colour...Before u ask, no im not on commission lol but its the way that i learnt to pan and can happily say im glad i did, certainly taught me alot about patience and working down the cons to a point that i was confident enough when i ventured out i wasnt leaving behind more than i was taking home which beforehand i more than likely would have been lol.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13090

Thanks y4k, I saw Digger Tom mentioned before I joined the site. Going to contact him now :)

on you tube mate type wal n liz it will come up they have heaps of videos showing how the different methods are used for different gems or gold must watch :)

Latest posts