Newbie here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJB

matt
Reaction score
Hi All,

My names Matt from Mt. Gambier SA but originally from Brisbane. I am just getting into gold prospecting and I have the Fever bad!! The closest place to go fossicking to me is in Ararat, 2.5 hours away and have been there a couple of times and was stoked to see a little colour in my pan...and I mean a little.

I am keen to get out there and meet fellow prospectors and learn as much as I can whilst enjoying this great country and hopefully finding a little more yellow stuff along the way.

Hopefully I wil get a chance to meet up with some of you in the future.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt - you may have one closer than you think. There are actual historic records of gold near Coleraine/Glenelg River which is just over the border from you. Now there's a research area for you! For example, Gold Warden Fenwich visited the 'Coleraine Goldfields' in the 1800s. (Commissioners and Wardens Reports).

Good luck.

Welcome Matt, you're come to the right place to assist in managing your gold fever. There's plenty of helpful info scattered around the place and if there's anything you can't find the answer to, please don't hesitate to ask.

Nugget.

my local doctor told me the best cure for gold fever is to take two nuggets and run around yahoo'ing and yelling out in joy.

i suggest you give it a try in your local creek

have fun out there mate :)

Ha Ha..

Thanks for the welcome guys. Thanks for the info Loamer, I am going to start researching about that one straight away. I might have to try that cure for gold fever too but I just need those two nuggets first. :lol:
Cheers,
Matt

Loamer...

Where are you getting all this great info from..?
Is it from the GEOVIC3 MAPS...?

Cheers
OZ

GTOZ - Geovic - no, I anly use geovic maps to cross-reference very old maps to try and align and put the diggings into a modern context.
I have built up a large collection of gold books - mostly Victorian goldfield books over the years (and have created an excel spreadsheet of locations, the ones I have checked, etc etc) I read about Coleraine some years ago in a Gold wardens report. You will be amazed at the gold that was found in Melbourne - CBD and surrounding suburbs (Merri Creek etc). There was even a small rush in 1851 to Lonsdale St and reports of good wash around Swanston St and a goldfield at Emerald Hill South Melbourne. The state library of Vic is well worth checking out.

That's unreal Loamer,

I have had a look for info on the Coleraine diggings but have not managed to come up with anything apart from links back to this post :p
Do you recall if they were near the town centre or out a bit. I have looked on google maps for any signs of past diggings but can't really see much at all but the creek which runs through town has plenty of bends to check out.

Cheers

I wonder if the Authorities would get a little peed off if I decided to try my luck in the middle of Flinders Street, after the trams pass by of course :) Howdy Matt, welcome to the fun.

Matt - I have done some more digging for you (pun intended). I believe the 'Coleraine' field may be a generic term for the general area. here is the results of my research (and this is from old reports and an internet search etc) Hope this helps mate. It may give you a start for some more searching.

In 1857 gold was found at Dunrobin. (north of Casterton) See map.

1378975354_dunrobin_mine.jpg

A Mr Mechosk stated that there was gold at the foot of Mt William and the foot of the Black ranges - near the sources of the Glenelg River.

There are notated mines and one is called the Coleraine Mine - see map.

1378975606_colerain.jpg

also, from the Vic Govt VIMP Report 13 by Rush and Rooney in 1995 - see image of report.

1378975814_gold.jpg

Loamer that is unreal,
I found some info on geovic and it showed the Dunrobin mine and a few others. I guess I am not sure at what sort of mining they did there and if the gold was alluvial or not. All these places are within an hour drive for me which makes it a lot better to get out there and investigate in the field.

Maybe there is a nice little patch waiting for me to exploit :lol:

Cheers,
Matt

Latest posts