newbie from fnq

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of people walking left side of the causeway up along the river and not all sightseeing. The amount of rock coming down the river in flood is truly phenomenal and the river changes after every wet. If you weren't in the world heritage area and you concentrated on finding some bedrock (very important)I am sure you would find colour. Good luck

Gday incey,
Unfortunately the Goldsborough is definitely National Park if not just under the edge of the WH area.

Its hard with NP to know whats what as the borders aren't perfectly marked.

Basically tho once you go across the last bridge your in the NP. As has been said there is a locked gate on the right just before that bridge which leads to the mentioned cane farmers property.
That property goes down to the edge of Tooheys ck, past that your in NP again all the way up to the back of Butchers Creek on the tablelands above.

If you follow the road into goldsborough day area/ campground theres another locked gate which is the very start of the Goldfields hike that goes up over the range - still NP.

Theres another track which spurs off to the right as you walk from the campground, that crosses the river and heads up the ridge dividing the east mulgrave river from machine ck on the other side.
Once upon a time that was the lower part of a 4x4 track called the Old Cairns Track, it was also probably part of the mule tracks to access the diggings further up the valleys.
Again all part of NP nowadays since they locked the 4x4s and dredgers out of there in the late 80s.

Plenty of facinating history up there still tho
TGW

I rang the DNRME people today and they have said that World Heritage Area falls under the High Preservation Area in the fossicking rules for queenslanders. I guess it pays to turn that filter on if you are using the minesonline program.

greenwanderer, on mines online the valley has national park on either side and it isn't until you turn on the world heritage filter that the valley gets coloured in. I can do some screenshots if you don't know the program?

Yep, best bet if you still want to have a poke around in the mulgrave is to go downstream to the big causeway at fisheries crossing.
Shouldn't have any issues having a pan there mate.

The Green Wanderer said:
Gday incey,
Unfortunately the Goldsborough is definitely National Park if not just under the edge of the WH area.

Its hard with NP to know whats what as the borders aren't perfectly marked.

Basically tho once you go across the last bridge your in the NP. As has been said there is a locked gate on the right just before that bridge which leads to the mentioned cane farmers property.
That property goes down to the edge of Tooheys ck, past that your in NP again all the way up to the back of Butchers Creek on the tablelands above.

If you follow the road into goldsborough day area/ campground theres another locked gate which is the very start of the Goldfields hike that goes up over the range - still NP.

Theres another track which spurs off to the right as you walk from the campground, that crosses the river and heads up the ridge dividing the east mulgrave river from machine ck on the other side.
Once upon a time that was the lower part of a 4x4 track called the Old Cairns Track, it was also probably part of the mule tracks to access the diggings further up the valleys.
Again all part of NP nowadays since they locked the 4x4s and dredgers out of there in the late 80s.

Plenty of facinating history up there still tho
TGW

I can remember when they were doing the work for the world heritage part of it on Bartle Frere, they would assemble at the HMAS Cairns main gate (which I was doing a 6 month stint on), so I got to talk with them. I was told it was still ok to fossick at the goldfields(I had recently bought a goldseekers 15000) as the right side looking upstream was not part of the area they were working on but that was 30 years ago and things normally change. Google earth, Google maps and my Garmin gps maps all show the right side of the river as not National park, seems like there a lot of hidden traps for the unwary.

Latest posts