newbie from fnq

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome incey,

Get your 10 posts up and you will be able to access the Members Only section. You should be able to see when the Cairns members meet up at the Red Beret Hotel about every 2 months. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Welcome incey,

Get your 10 posts up and you will be able to access the Members Only section. You should be able to see when the Cairns members meet up at the Red Beret Hotel about every 2 months. :Y:

Cheers

Doug
thanks Doug, i was wondering if they still met somewhere after seeing the miners den closed

Hi Incey
Welcome
As Doug said we still meet up every now and then
I will send you a note when another one is on
Its a good meet up with a few laugh's with good people
Prospecting is a great hobby at it gets you into to great outdoors and is a bonus when you find something.

Cheers Greg :cool:

Gday Incey,
welcome to the forum and to prospecting.
All good fun getting out and chasing the yellow stuff, get into your research on the cairns region and you'll find how much mining history there is around here.

And as the guys have said keep an eye out for the next meeting of us locals, all are welcome to come along. We're due another one sometime in May so not far away.

Feel free to ask questions mate and we'll try and help.

Regards,
Shannon.

Welcome Incy to the forum.
1524483634_welcome9.jpg

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I have been scouring the minesonline maps for likely spots to go and have a look and noticed a lot of the goldsborough valley is in world heritage area and I haven't been able to determine yet if it legal to fossick in these spots. ANyone know for sure either way?
Its a bit frustrating looking for spots nearby, all the old gold spots seem to be in either National Park, Timber reserve or consveration areas.

Welcome incey

I hope to be up your way at Forsayth in a couple of weeks.

Regards Anthony. :) :)

incey said:
Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I have been scouring the minesonline maps for likely spots to go and have a look and noticed a lot of the goldsborough valley is in world heritage area and I haven't been able to determine yet if it legal to fossick in these spots. ANyone know for sure either way?
Its a bit frustrating looking for spots nearby, all the old gold spots seem to be in either National Park, Timber reserve or consveration areas.
the goldfields at goldsborough are fairly hard to get to as the cane farmers will not let anyone on their property and its about 2 km or so from the causeway. Last time I was in there was about 15 years ago and it was pretty overrgrown so detecting was not easy. I waited till the drier weather thinned the grass but found the gate locked so I rang the farmer and was told "the goldfields were closed" .
Also the old Gordonvale settlement is in there near the goldfields, I am waiting for the river to drop as low as it will and I'll have another look at the area.

Welcome incey, you got a mention in 'A Very Unlikely Story', just a bit of fun.
Cute name as in 'incey wincey'?
Enjoy the forum lots of helpful info to help you out.

There is a gazetted road that used to run around the last cane farm up to tooheys creek then up to butchers creek and followed that to the tablelands. There is evidence of mining (hard rock) off the track which you can't drive now (too overgrown) but could certainly walk.I ran into are couple of miners 35 years ago getting gold under the basalt cap

The geezer said:
There is a gazetted road that used to run around the last cane farm up to tooheys creek then up to butchers creek and followed that to the tablelands. There is evidence of mining (hard rock) off the track which you can't drive now (too overgrown) but could certainly walk.I ran into are couple of miners 35 years ago getting gold under the basalt cap

The "gazetted road" now has a locked gate at the causeway. I believe one track led up the mountain to the top camp and another named the Gadgarra riding track led up to the tablelands. The evidence of mining is the bottom camp which has some open shafts and quartz scattered everywhere. It was a really beautiful spot when I was there very like the Behana creek. http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=311716.

the bonzle map doesn't show the world heritage zone...the zone pretty much covers the valley between the national park boundaries. here's a pic

the diagonal yellow bars denote the heritage zone
I was up there yesterday and found the tiniest speck in my pan I have ever seen. Looks like I might have been very close to the start of the world heritage area so I probably won't go back til i find out if I'm legal there

can't post a link yet.....soon

Latest posts