Newbi In Vic.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm Jarrod and new to prospecting.

Interested in it as a family pass time with my wife and young daughter.

I bought a few pans, sieves, buckets and other basics and plan on heading out to an area of Heathcote/Greytown NP that I know. (pic below)

There is an area I know well as I used to shoot rabbits and foxes on a property that backed onto the park and during the day, when things were quiet, we'd go walk/drive around the local area checking out all the old digging/shafts etc.

The creeks there only run after constant or heavy rain so I assume they're dry at the moment.

I just wanted to check with anyone who knows the area is it worth hitting the dry creek beds or is the area better suited to detecting? I'm only assuming there might be something there due to all the old shafts etc.

I know if I take my wife out for a day of shoveling dirt and don't find even a speck of gold chances are she'll never come out again :(

Is the area worth a look or should i go elsewhere?

Any info appreciated, cheers.

Removed map as you you don't want it run over with yahoo's -Do you?

G'day Jarrod , not sure about the area your interested in panning in the heathcote greytown np I know a lot of gold has come out of the heathcote area over time .Best bet would be to check out the parks web.gov.au site for a map that shows where your allowed to prospect with a miners right and go have a go you never know your luck, if you do your research and know where to look you should find a few specks.Water might be an issue this time of year as well as snakes so be careful , you might want to check out some family friendly areas first.
Cheers Booney.

Hi Jarrod,
I've had a bit of a scratch around Graytown and didn't have much luck. The area's been fairly flogged now, I'd say, being close-ish to Melbourne for many to go there.
Even the detector wasn't picking up bits of junk, it's been so cleaned out.
A lot of gold was found there back in the day with some deep leads and a fair amount of working the area, but it might be better to head further north to Whroo and Rushworth for a better chance of finding something these days.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers,
Megsy

Booney said:
G'day Jarrod , not sure about the area your interested in panning in the heathcote greytown np I know a lot of gold has come out of the heathcote area over time .Best bet would be to check out the parks web.gov.au site for a map that shows where your allowed to prospect with a miners right and go have a go you never know your luck, if you do your research and know where to look you should find a few specks.Water might be an issue this time of year as well as snakes so be careful , you might want to check out some family friendly areas first.
Cheers Booney.

Cheers mate, I've checked the vic parks maps and it's all goood in the area I'm looking at.

I'm in Geelong so might try somewhere closer if Heathcote comes up bare.

Might be a stupid question but I'll never know if I don't ask! :D

A lot of the creeks run from the property into the forest. The farm has obviously been cleared and is/was riddles with rabbit warrens but the creeks do flow after a good rain.

Would it be worth trying to get back onto the property and trying the creek beds there too?

Yep I would also detecting the property would be worth a try a lot of old diggings got bulldozed and turned into paddocks in certain areas/farms best of luck cheers Muk.

Jarrod R said:

A lot of the creeks run from the property into the forest. The farm has obviously been cleared and is/was riddles with rabbit warrens but the creeks do flow after a good rain.

Would it be worth trying to get back onto the property and trying the creek beds there too?

Welcome to PA Jarrod R. As for private property only after being granted permission by the property owner. We don't need anyone making life any more difficult than it is. Don't be disappointed if you don't find colour it just means your in the wrong spot. I've found gold on most visits to Heathcote, Graytown, Whroo and Rushworth. It takes time but with persistence you'll find a pocket that will provide, there's plenty of trash and next to no water. If you want to pan take buckets and sample from different areas then process it at a dam /CFA water point. There's plenty of permanent water around Whroo just be careful of the snake's they like it as much as we do on a hot day.

RM Outback said:
Jarrod R said:

Welcome to PA Jarrod R. As for private property only after being granted permission by the property owner. We don't need anyone making life any more difficult than it is. Don't be disappointed if you don't find colour it just means your in the wrong spot. I've found gold on most visits to Heathcote, Graytown, Whroo and Rushworth. It takes time but with persistence you'll find a pocket that will provide, there's plenty of trash and next to no water. If you want to pan take buckets and sample from different areas then process it at a dam /CFA water point. There's plenty of permanent water around Whroo just be careful of the snake's they like it as much as we do on a hot day.

Cheers mate, I've been shooting a long time and know not to set foot on private property without permission. :Y:

As for water, I was planning on taking a few jerry cans of water and a plastic tub. So it's ok to pan or run a sluice in the WP's? That would be much easier if we could! :D

G'day Jarrod not sure what you mean by WPs? I know people have run highbankers from seasonal water after good rains but they have their favourite pay dirt spots and have to cart it in buckets to the water.

:Y: acronyms :poop: there's just a new one every day now :rolleyes:. Not having a go I'm guilty of tired text myself some days. All good mate have fun when you get the chance to dig :Y: :power:.

Latest posts