New to P.A. and prospecting in general.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to prospecting and the forum.

I've been doing a lot of research online on the various types of gold detectors. The issue I'm facing is the difficulty in choosing an entry level detector that I can learn on, that still gives me the chance to find gold. My price range is $1000-$1500. I've read posts on the forum and watched clips on youtube but this leaves me confused and overloaded with info. I'll be concentrating on the Vic triangle area and would be grateful for some advice from those working this area, using a machine from this price range.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forums mate! Im a newbie and wanted an entry level detector in that range aswell and 2-3 come up everytime in comparisons and debates (mind you theres 100's) namely the garrett at gold/pro or xterra 705 (whites gb2 is a little more) however from what ive been told unfortunately these vlc machines arent that great for gold in the golden triangle, apparently due to high mineralization a PI detector is required these however are great coin and relic machines although im assuming like me thats not what youre after. Other good and cheaper options (i thought) are sd2000/2100/2200 however was told the GT had been flogged many a time in the last 20 or so years with these (which sort of makes sense) Unfortunately ive been told im going to have to bite the bullet eventually and get a 4000 series or above or hire one out in order to have a good chance at finding gold in the triangle. Since i didnt want to spend anymore than 1500 for the mean time ive turned to panning/sluicing to get into prospecting. With all that being said im no expert and im not claiming to be i am only going off research, phone calls and shop visits no actual practical experience. i was leaning towards xterra 705 gold pack up untill i got told not to buy a vlc for specific gold detecting in the GT. However like you id be keen to hear results of people using a detector for gold in the GT in this price range, theres not actually much info out there involving all those specific parameters (gold, golden triangle, 1000-1500) but yeah for now its panning sluicing and ill hire a 5000 or 2300 when i go detecting.

Where in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne can I go to have rock tested?

Latest posts