New SA member, on the search for crystals, gems and treasures

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Yall, New member Wedge here. Long time geology enthusiast and crystal appreciator.

I grew up sourh of Adelaide on one of the old slate mines and became obsessed with the white quartz crystals that rarely formed nice
although tiny points. I often played in the quarry and grew up quite wild, naturally scratching around in creeks and forrests and finding nice things in the dirt. I started collecting cool bits I found about and now have a wooden chest/ parents house full of shells wth pearls, 4 leafed clovers, strange gumnuts and possible meteors etc.

I studied film and television, also visual arts and studied jewellery, glass blowing, glasscastimg, sculpture and some projects grinding large glasd crystals but never took it much further.

At some I bought a cheapish metal detector and played with it at the beach and back at my parents place at the slate quarry.. Never got any glod so thats still on the list.

So last year I found WalshnLiz 's youtube
videos and that really got my old adventuring blood boiling. I realised I had never found really nice big crystals or any real gems ie sapphires.. The treasure list continues
The crystal collector videos really got me and a friend excited about finding clear crystals and gems. She lives in Nsw near Sydney so we're planning on doing fossicking trips from there and also driving from SA to Vic/ Western NSW spots. Oh and we're planning on each building crowns.

So after alot of youtube and forum/ net scrolling im here and ready to get involved. I've already got a fossicking kit going with picks, seives, pans shovel etc. And been on a few trips out to Mt Crawford (got my fossick licence there)and Wash Gully looking for gold flecks, garnet and crystal also to Ladybay looking for zircons. Have found some shinny bits so far but still hunting.

I'll post photos of my first findings

I'm looking for a good SA Gem/ fossicking club also if anyone knows or is a member of one.

Happy hunting.

Latest posts