New prospector chasing knowledge in Mackay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am very new to the prospecting game and have a few questions regarding panning in dry creek beds. I am panning at a mountain just west of Mackay with a few dry creek beds running off it (has been known to contain gold), the one in particular i was dry panning yesterday was very narrow (1.5-2 metres wide) and had a rocky bottom with clay/gravelly sand base directly underneath. My question is am i wasting my time digging here? As soon as i move the rocks to start digging i am straight into a damp clay bed (with the knowledge that gold will not get through clay) i am at a loss as to how to read the dirt per say. Also if there is anyone who has some good advice for panning dry creeks or is looking for someone to go panning with i am interested to learn.

Thanks

DrSluice said:
Hi All,

I am very new to the prospecting game and have a few questions regarding panning in dry creek beds. I am panning at a mountain just west of Mackay with a few dry creek beds running off it (has been known to contain gold), the one in particular i was dry panning yesterday was very narrow (1.5-2 metres wide) and had a rocky bottom with clay/gravelly sand base directly underneath. My question is am i wasting my time digging here? As soon as i move the rocks to start digging i am straight into a damp clay bed (with the knowledge that gold will not get through clay) i am at a loss as to how to read the dirt per say. Also if there is anyone who has some good advice for panning dry creeks or is looking for someone to go panning with i am interested to learn.

Thanks

Welcome mate,

There is plenty of info available through searching on the subject here, on the net and Youtube. From what ive read/watched its not a waste of time.

https://youtu.be/EaQnxdR0PYs

I did stumble across this video trying to find some info. This dry bed seems a lot dryer and harder than the stuff Im finding. The only pain with wet clay is its hard to break down and process.

Puddlers were the old timers way of breaking down clay.
Leave some gravel in amoung your clay and add a little detergent and wash it till there is no clay balls.
If you have a rock bottom (bedrock) make sure you clean it.
Matt T

welcome doctor sluice,i have the same problem,sticky yellow clay, i throw it in the cement mixer with gravel i keep for this occasion, about 10 minutes per 10 litre bucket full of clay and use a 1/30" mesh classifier sat on a 11 litre bucket from bunnings in the wheel barrow, liquid clay goes into bucket and barrow,then classify with a 1/4"mesh ,i use 1/2" gravel for this,if you think you may have gold smaller than 1/30" mesh, run a pin pointer in the sludge in the bucket to test or pan sludge off, hope this helps :beer:

Hi there DrSluice, I'm out at Mbah, so "just down the road" from you lol
Would this be Mt C. you are referring to?
If so, I've been wanting to get out there for years and kick some rocks around.

Latest posts