New mine near my property

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjy120

Stuart
Reaction score
Hi all,

They have reopened an old mine near my property

Below is some info on it, with the GFC it slowed down but is back in full swing now again.

Lease Application 225. The Broula King Project was the subject of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). An Environmental Impact Statement on the Broula King Project was lodged on 25 January 2005 and approved on 14 November 2005 which provides for the grant of Mining Lease 225.

Past Production and Recent Drill Exploration

Gold mining at Broula King is reported to have commenced in 1901 and to have continued intermittently until 1939. Available records indicate a past production of 2830 oz (88 kg) of gold.

Previous exploration has generated a large amount of data, much of it in the form of drilling and surface geochemical data over the mineralisation around the old Broula King workings.

In the period 1975 to 1976 Western Mining Corporation (WMC) drilled 45 percussion holes. In the period 1978 to 1982 Mines Exploration Pty Ltd (ME) drilled 3 diamond holes duplicating the WMC holes. During 1986 Cluff Resources Pacific Ltd (Cluff) drilled 6986m in 177 reverse circulation (RC) boreholes, extended 6 RC holes and drilled 517m of diamond drill holes.

Hardwon Resources took over the project in 2000, ultimately forming the Broula King Joint Venture (BKJV). The BKJV summarised the exploration drilling between 1975 to 1989 as 8,430m from 209 more holes. Many holes were drilled on a 10m grid and most were vertical.

Geology and Mineralisation

Regionally, Silurian age acid to intermediate volcanics, volcaniclastic sediments and limestones are bounded to the south by the Young Granite Batholith of Devonian age. To the north of this sequence are late Devonian sediments. The geology of the immediate Broula King area is generally described as consisting of four predominant rock types dacite porphyry, tuff breccia, hydrothermal breccia and calcareous sediments.

The major controls on the mineralisation are a series of parallel quartz filled structures striking NNW and dipping steeply to the south-west. The quartz structures are truncated by a north-east striking fault the Main (or Ridge) fault. This fault is near vertical, or steeply dipping to the north-west. Gold mineralisation appears also to be truncated by this fault.

The main host for gold mineralisation is the dacite porphyry. Here the gold is predominantly found as a low grade fine grained dissemination within highly altered (silica-sericite) zones.

Gold is also present in lesser quantities within quartz veins, near or along the vein margins and at a coarser grain size than the main mineralisation.

Disseminated pyrite is erratically distributed throughout the altered volcanics and seldom exceeds 2%. Galena and sphalerite occur in the thin quartz veins, with lesser chalcopyrite and pyrite.

Someone that knows more about geology may be able to understand what there saying as it doesn't mean too much to me......

Hay Stuie
Are they digging under your place?
I didn't know that there were gold deposits in your area.
Interesting there are volcaniclastic sediments there also, remnants of a pyroclastic flow in the past.

Cheers
Mick

It's just up the road from my property out between Cowra and Grenfell.

I've got family who live in Grenfell :)

I know there was a lot of gold produced back in the 1800's between Grenfell and Cowra, so it does make sense to start mining what the old timers left behind.

Nugget.

From report:

"Geology and Mineralisation
Regionally, Silurian age acid to intermediate volcanics, volcaniclastic sediments and limestones are bounded to the south by the Young Granite Batholith of Devonian age. To the north of this sequence are late Devonian sediments."

To interpret this remember, there is a relationship between certain rock types and gold. Generally, we should look at sedimentary and metamorphic rocks primarily rocks of the ordovician or silurian age. To tone this down even more, palaeozoic is an era, ordovician and silurian are two of the 6 ages of that era. We are talking 40 - 60 million years ago. This is why, when looking at geological maps, we generally look for these two ages. The devonian age mentioned in the report is right on the edge, just after the silurian age.

So the mining company is in the right area, geologically speaking.

Hi all,

We were in the Paleogene era 40-60million years ago loamer. The Silurian met the Devonian 419million years ago. :)

Doesn't surprise me that gold has been found there going by the report. Sounds like a very good area for gold deposits!

Gold seems fairly common around where the Silurian aged layered rocks met the newer Devonian layers. The Devonian Sandstones are a good age indicator at times. Stuart Town and Mookerawa are a great example of Devonian gold deposits (in smaller areas there).

I wonder if the mass extinction that took place during the Silurian age had anything to do with the gold deposits? Possibly due to overactive volcanics or tectonic shifting maybe?

I'll have to look into that one...
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

woops and apologies - I meant the time spans for the ages. Ordovician - 60 million years, silurian - 40 million years - devonian - 50 million years.

Unless of course we are talking the creationists understanding of geology ....... but best leave that topic well alone.

it would be nice to see the drilling results

best i have seen in australia was 900 grams AU per tonne , Papua New Guinea you might see 3 kg per tonne ;)

years ago when i last looked , open cut was considered profitable from about 6 grams per tonne and underground something like 17 grams per tonne. it would have changed since then with increased production costs and changed gold price

depth would be of interest too . there is only so far a man can dig with a pick and shovel :p

loamer said:
woops and apologies - I meant the time spans for the ages. Ordovician - 60 million years, silurian - 40 million years - devonian - 50 million years.

Unless of course we are talking the creationists understanding of geology ....... but best leave that topic well alone.

Hi loamer,

No problems at all. They are definitely correct in that sense. :)

And yes I agree, we'll just run from the scientific side of things -that I can only sort of understand myself at times :lol:

HeadsUp said:
it would be nice to see the drilling results

best i have seen in australia was 900 grams AU per tonne , Papua New Guinea you might see 3 kg per tonne wink

years ago when i last looked , open cut was considered profitable from about 6 grams per tonne and underground something like 17 grams per tonne. it would have changed since then with increased production costs and changed gold price

depth would be of interest too . there is only so far a man can dig with a pick and shovel tongue

Wow! 100 ounces per tonne in PNG!? When do we leave? :D

There's a video of a small company assaying an area in Alaska for exploratory mining around a small granite outcrop that showed results in the 60 ounce per tonne range. They washed countless ounces of gold just off of the surrounding top soil/gravels with a small hydraulic sluicing setup and a few people panning the area. There must still be countless rich deposits hidden out in the more remote parts of the planet, not to mention what's laying about under the oceans. :eek:

Cheers,
Shauno.

looking round the property on the weekend found quite a bit of iron pyrite , does that mean gold could there as well???

The project has been underway for a long time, there are four directors of which two, are very good miners, with a good track record, complex wash plant they have on site which has pulled out just under $10m since 2012. Going to be there for a while, at the moment I think they are still skimming the low grade ore.

Latest posts