New in SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey mate, I'm more into detecting but also like to get into some panning and run the occasional sluice. Unfortunately the most productive areas (Humbug scrub, Gorge Rd, Jupiter Creek, Blackfellows Creek) etc are off limits these days but at Chapel Hill there's the sluice dam. I know a crazy bastard who chimneys down all the old abandoned mineshafts to test the pay dirt. Not something I'd recommend and speaking of which be careful of hidden shafts as there's plenty of them. A few sections of the Onkaparinga and Torrens are accessible for panning. Generally at bridge crossings or where they coarse through public grounds. For greater freedom you're going to have to head interstate.

Thanks Neggetino for the response and the warning about hidden shafts.

Had some success at Chapel Hill but see a note on the mines website that SafeWorkSA have shut the place down, doah! Managed to bucket the sluice at the dam for a bit of success before the closure. I agree that is a bit crazy entering abandoned shafts and i have caving and climbing experience.

I have been working mainly the Onkaparinga but also had a little success in the Torrens, like you said looking for road or bridge crossings. Hard work but i guess a good way to improve my skills until i can head interstate.

Just to confirm i thought that Jupiter Creek was still open? Its been about two months since i last went there. They were working on the carpark but the guys working it said the site was open.

Have you any experience with the Finniss River? Happy to chat more over PM if you prefer?

Thanks

Latest posts