New hobby

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day Guys,

Have decided to take up bit of a new hobby that will get me out and about. Have always enjoyed fishing and thought that I could combine my fishing with a bit of prospecting. I thought if I'm out on the rivers I might as well try a bit of panning. Turns out its not as straight forward as that!

After a bit of research I've discovered that you can't necessarily go down to the local waterway and start washing rocks. I think it is a good idea to jump on a forum like this and learn a bit.

I'm from the Latrobe Valley and look forward to getting out and exploring more of the Gippsland region. The only experience I have is what I've seen on TV shows like Gold Rush but they make it look easy ;)

Look forward to learning more and who knows I might even find something of interest.

Cheers guys,

Sandsy

Welcome to PA Sandsy, and with the learning will come your "something of interest". Hope there's many!
PS: Many of us are chipping in for a reward for the one to shoot that annoying cat ;)

Welcome Sandsy
I'm pretty well in the same region as you plenty of places to explore and feed your new obsession,passion,hobby. Get out there and enjoy

Bjay said:
Welcome Sandsy
I'm pretty well in the same region as you plenty of places to explore and feed your new obsession,passion,hobby. Get out there and enjoy

Gday Bjay. Not after any exact locations, but could you share a good place to start?

Not trying to be a smart ass but the best place to start may be right here on the forum search. Try gippsland gold for example haven't tied it myself but ya never know. There's also heaps of info plus old geo maps online. I would start with putting in gippsland goldfields and go from there or Maybee west gipsland goldfields . I believe half of the fun of prospecting is researching places and checking out on maps and then going to see what's there. In saying that you don't have to go far 20 mins to 1/hr north of the valley and you can be in the old gold fields. Trove is also a good site to get an idea of what happened back in the day. Good luck and remember to stick at it as its great just to be out bush searching.

Latest posts