New Electric cars to come with free insulated foot wear.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldfreak said:
Nuclear is the only thing that can really threaten coal and gas for critical base load power unless a much better, long lasting and cheaper battery can be developed. China has an interesting vanadium redox flow battery but are still planning to build 150 nuclear reactors anyway so to me that speaks for itself. Pumped hydro is anouther option for renewables but there are many inefficiency losses. Coal and gas has the advantage over nuclear that they can be switched on and off more easily. Small modular reactor designs are working to solve this though. They have already been proven in various military applications and are now coming into the civilian sphere. As a country we have to pull our finger out, think long term out and stop doing tokanistic window dressing. A few solar panels (often made in China) here and wind farms there make us feel good but wont cut it in a competitive world. In a world of increasing automation and electrical demand reliable cheap power is what will seperate the winners from the loosers.
Amen

goldierocks said:
Adrian ss said:
I wonder if anybody has thought about the effects of the powerful LF electromagnetic fields that they will be subjected to while driving an electric vehicle.
Even the current petrol engine cars have stronger magnetic fields in the driver side of the cabin than what is considered safe for humans.

Maybe that is why there is so much road rage today . Our brains are being messed up by the LF EMI.

"than what is considered safe for humans" - perhaps word that more accurately "than some humans who ignore science consider safe". Beware of the EMF from the wires in the wall behind your bed head - higher again ;)

mg = milli gauss

At my pillow 2mg
At the wall behind my pillow. 10 mg +

While parked with engine running.

In the car around my feet. 2mg
At chest hight. 5+ mg

Over 3mg of alternating magnetic field is considered to be excessive for humans.

My Sea Hunter PI pumps out over a thousand mg a meter from the coil... :argh:

BigWave said:
Goldierocks.
I agree atm, but we gotta start somewhere.
More EVs, the more green charging stations.
The more recycling plants.
If you build it - they will come.

Tesla's super charger is a marketing gimmick.

A battery can only charge so fast. All batteries have internal resistance in them. The Li-ion battery is no exception. All batteries using the same chemistry are the same. They all have the same limitations.

The amount of energy (in joules or your favorite unit) to move a car of a given size and weight a given distance does not change much. It is that energy you have to put into the battery during refueling of an electric car.

There are two ways to do it: High voltage or high current (or both).

High voltage systems are dangerous to use. Arc-over is a very real danger in handling such connections. Most electric cars use 120v or 240v to charge them for this reason.

So you are left with high current. This means wire size and terminal connector size are important.

If you were to ram that kind of energy into an electric car in the same few minutes it takes to refuel a petrol engined car, you would need a wire so big you couldn't lift it (never mind the connector!). The batteries themselves would not accept the current either, literally leaping out of the car on fire (or just setting the whole car on fire!).

So it takes hours, not minutes to refuel such a car. That will never change. A joule is a joule. It still will require the same number of joules to move the car of a given weight a given distance.

Lead-acid batteries are among the lowest internal resistance of any battery. They charge the quickest for this reason. You STILL can't ram that kind of current into such a battery. You will bend the plates (shorting them) and boil the electrolyte away. (Assuming you could lift the cable and actually connect it).

Vehicle manufacturers are on top of all this.

I don't believe that they will abandon the manufacture of Internal combustion engines. :money:

Adrian ss said:
goldierocks said:
Adrian ss said:
I wonder if anybody has thought about the effects of the powerful LF electromagnetic fields that they will be subjected to while driving an electric vehicle.
Even the current petrol engine cars have stronger magnetic fields in the driver side of the cabin than what is considered safe for humans.

Maybe that is why there is so much road rage today . Our brains are being messed up by the LF EMI.

"than what is considered safe for humans" - perhaps word that more accurately "than some humans who ignore science consider safe". Beware of the EMF from the wires in the wall behind your bed head - higher again ;)

mg = milli gauss

At my pillow 2mg
At the wall behind my pillow. 10 mg +

While parked with engine running.

In the car around my feet. 2mg
At chest hight. 5+ mg

Over 3mg of alternating magnetic field is considered to be excessive for humans.

"Over 3mg of alternating magnetic field is considered to be excessive for humans". No, there is no evidence that LMF is dangerous at all - that is a specification (largely because of speculation). And plenty of advice for people who believe it does - but little to support it in the scientific belief system.

It is non-ionizing radiation

And beware of your shaver, phone, kitchen appliances etc if you believe that - almost anything operating on mains voltage. And 0.3 mG can supposedly give you asthma, so you are doomed to that.Laptops, printers, TVs, microwaves, air conditioners, refrigerators

There are plenty of scientifically confirmed carcinogens - beans, capsicums, chillies (uncertain), red meat, salt, alcohol, , going outside into sunlight.....but not eating them at all will cause a quicker death and going without electronics may cause you to die of depression. And worrying is not good for you.....And of course, filling your petrol car (petrol fumes) and car exhausts are among the worst, along with coal-burning power stations..

I take a statistical view - for the last hundred years we have been subjected to increasing numbers of chemicals and electronic devices, but both Australian and world life spans have DOUBLED over that period. Even in recent years the climb has been constant.

1643861326_life_span_oz.jpg

If you think I am exaggerating the other issue - compare Russia. Vodka with a severe downturn 20 years ago when less good quality fresh food was available.

1643861647_russian_life_expectancy.jpg

Wot, me worry :lol:

Adrian ss said:

Is that why I felt euphoric diving with my Sea Hunter PI ??

I would not count my 6mm rubber suit as a faraday cage.... maybe the water helped to protect me :argh:

:8

EVIE/BEE said:
BigWave said:
Goldierocks.
I agree atm, but we gotta start somewhere.
More EVs, the more green charging stations.
The more recycling plants.
If you build it - they will come.

Tesla's super charger is a marketing gimmick.

A battery can only charge so fast. All batteries have internal resistance in them. The Li-ion battery is no exception. All batteries using the same chemistry are the same. They all have the same limitations.

The amount of energy (in joules or your favorite unit) to move a car of a given size and weight a given distance does not change much. It is that energy you have to put into the battery during refueling of an electric car.

There are two ways to do it: High voltage or high current (or both).

High voltage systems are dangerous to use. Arc-over is a very real danger in handling such connections. Most electric cars use 120v or 240v to charge them for this reason.

So you are left with high current. This means wire size and terminal connector size are important.

If you were to ram that kind of energy into an electric car in the same few minutes it takes to refuel a petrol engined car, you would need a wire so big you couldn't lift it (never mind the connector!). The batteries themselves would not accept the current either, literally leaping out of the car on fire (or just setting the whole car on fire!).

So it takes hours, not minutes to refuel such a car. That will never change. A joule is a joule. It still will require the same number of joules to move the car of a given weight a given distance.

Lead-acid batteries are among the lowest internal resistance of any battery. They charge the quickest for this reason. You STILL can't ram that kind of current into such a battery. You will bend the plates (shorting them) and boil the electrolyte away. (Assuming you could lift the cable and actually connect it).

You say "It is that energy you have to put into the battery during refueling of an electric car. There are two ways to do it: High voltage or high current (or both)". I think they might be 480V, and have a charging capacity of 150 Kw (one below says 250 Kw)..

And I don't think the battery is simple Li is it? "Somehow Tesla has been able to engineer their batteries to last much longer and be just much healthier overall than all of the other types of batteries that were used to using. This is likely due to the cell chemistry Tesla uses of nickel, cobalt, and aluminum versus other EV makers that use different formulations of chemistry for their battery cells".

As for charging time "Superchargers are capable of charging up to 250 kW! For comparison, most public DCFC stations are limited to around 50 kW, however, lately, new stations installed by Electrify America and EVgo are capable of charging up to 150-350 kW. For most people this doesnt mean much. So what about in terms of charge time? Superchargers can complete a charge from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes".

I only have what others have written, but they have been around for some time now and someone would have mentioned if they took hours to recharge "The Supercharger network was introduced on September 24, 2012, with six Supercharger stations.[1] As of February 18, 2021, Tesla operates over 30,000 Superchargers in over 2,564 stations worldwide[2] (an average of 9 chargers per station). There are 1,101 stations in North America, 592 in Europe, and 498 in the Asia/Pacific region.[3] Supercharger stalls have a connector to supply electrical power at maximums of 72 kW, 150 kW or 250 kW.[4]"

They will have to increase to better than a best of 30 minutes charge time for me to be interested, given the present range per charge.

Fast charging batteries, most any chemistry, means you have to replace the pack sooner. You get nothing for free. Convenience costs extra.

EVIE/BEE said:
Fast charging batteries, most any chemistry, means you have to replace the pack sooner. You get nothing for free. Convenience costs extra.

"Tesla is the pioneer of technology and innovation with its battery longevity ranging between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. According to an Impact Report released by Tesla in 2019, Tesla Model S and X batteries retain over 80% of their range even after driving 200,000 miles.

Tesla is designing vehicles with a battery life that will outlast the vehicle itself. Tesla also started offering a minimum 70% battery retention guarantee over a period of 8 years or 100,000 to 120,000 miles. A study on 286 Tesla Model owners across the world revealed that Tesla vehicles lose just 5% of their capacity in the first 50,000 miles. They reach over 150,000 miles before coming to a 10% loss in battery".

Again, I have no personal experience. They are expensive, but not if this is correct (tesla reckon they will get them down to $150 with mass production).

To me, mileage per charge and recharging time are issues - lack of recharging stations where I go is a complete killer. Many people say that we will soon have recharging stations everywhere. At this time, even the USA plus Canada have only 1100 Tesla charging stations in total. As for Australia, just drive up many outback highways and back roads and something will strike you (even the Adelaide to Darwin highway) - no power transmission lines. Little local generators in towns along the way, insufficient for charging stations. So when you dont even have mains power to much of the area of Australia, how will you get recharging stations in any realistic time frame. If our government insisted we change over by 2025 there would be riots! Floods give Cobber Pedy a hard enough time.

I have heard that frequent fast charging of EVs batteries can lead to a faster degradation of the battery.
This means reduced range over time and possible premature failure. We all see this with our mobile phone and lap top batteries.

Around 18 months ago it was reported a 7 year old Nissan Leaf battery failed, the owner enquired about getting a replacement fitted, price was 35k.
Consider it a right off. :lol: :N:

Swinging & digging said:
I have heard that frequent fast charging of EVs batteries can lead to a faster degradation of the battery.
This means reduced range over time and possible premature failure. We all see this with our mobile phone and lap top batteries.

Around 18 months ago it was reported a 7 year old Nissan Leaf battery failed, the owner enquired about getting a replacement fitted, price was 35k.

You heard correctly.
Also:
EVs are like battery electric mowers....Bloody hopeless.

Got tired of being covered in exhaust and petrol fumes while mowing the lawns so purchased a big battery mower....Now it takes me two days to mow the lawns instead of 3/4 of an hour.....Unless I purchase three extra batteries and an extra charger..... and guess what! the mower did not come with a charger, that was an extra. Say What!!....A bit like buying a car and the sales person telling me that if I want to drive it I will have to buy a petrol tank. :(

Swinging & digging said:

"Tesla also started offering a minimum 70% battery retention guarantee over a period of 8 years or 100,000 to 120,000 miles. A study on 286 Tesla Model owners across the world revealed that Tesla vehicles lose just 5% of their capacity in the first 50,000 miles. They reach over 150,000 miles before coming to a 10% loss in battery".
"$5,000 to $7,500" which would not be too bad at 150,000 miles (240,000 km). Reckon they will get them down to $150 with mass production. But the price you mention would be a model 3 battery, and is a major negative until the price drops. I don't think the general public realizes these things. I assume that is for Supercharging.

Adrian ss said:
Swinging & digging said:

You heard correctly.
Also:
EVs are like battery electric mowers....Bloody hopeless.

Got tired of being covered in exhaust and petrol fumes while mowing the lawns so purchased a big battery mower....Now it takes me two days to mow the lawns instead of 3/4 of an hour.....Unless I purchase three extra batteries and an extra charger..... and guess what! the mower did not come with a charger, that was an extra. Say What!!....A bit like buying a car and the sales person telling me that if I want to drive it I will have to buy a petrol tank. :(

I bought an EGO - mow the front lawn and nature-strip, recharge for 40 minutes, mow the back lawn. Same battery goes into whipper-snipper and edger.

My front lawn/paddock is 25 x 15 mtr and the back lawn is 25 x 17 mtr and is rough as guts.
My Mass Sport petrol mower has lasted 13 years without problems and is a beast. It cost 365 dollars and uses less than 1 ltr of fuel to do both lawns.

The battery mower cost just on 800 dollars inc batteries and charger. most lithium ion bats are good for about 5 years if they are treated right... With lots of fast charging and running them flat between charges will kill that life span.
I wonder what the battery mower will be like in 13 years time??....Stuffed and pushing up daisies in a rubbish dump is a fair bet.

Adrian ss said:
My front lawn/paddock is 25 x 15 mtr and the back lawn is 25 x 17 mtr and is rough as guts.
My Mass Sport petrol mower has lasted 13 years without problems and is a beast. It cost 365 dollars and uses less than 1 ltr of fuel to do both lawns.

The battery mower cost just on 800 dollars inc batteries and charger. most lithium ion bats are good for about 5 years if they are treated right... With lots of fast charging and running them flat between charges will kill that life span.
I wonder what the battery mower will be like in 13 years time??....Stuffed and pushing up daisies in a rubbish dump is a fair bet.
Almost certainly - but I will be 86 if not also stuffed and pushing up daisies!

Young fella hey Goldierocks.
From this to that is quite an era young fella :Y:

1644061032_victa.jpg

1644061099_ego.jpg