Never seen this before in the bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome stuff and great photos.

I remember years ago i was fishing the loddon river from the bank and heard a noise coming from the sand near my feet. Out popped a baby turtle followed by another and another. Was amazing to see in the wild. The bush truly is an amazing place.
Sadly didnt have a phone or camera with me :|

Those moments are gold when they happen. I was fishing for Eels and Blackfish in the upper Yarra river near Warburton in Victoria once, about 25 year ago now, when just on dusk I looked down at my feet that were just near the edge of the water, and there was a Platypus swimming in and out of the submerged tangled tree roots that extended out from the bank, happily splashing away and probably catching it's dinner as it went. I sat there dead still for quite some time, trying hard not to move so I could just enjoy the moment and take it all in. To this day it is the only wild platypus that I have seen.

One fine spring day back in 1983, while staying in the Avoca Caravan Park, my wife and I were prospecting some old workings in the Pyrenees without success, so I wandered off to check out some bushland nearby. As I got closer, I could hear what I thought was people, crashing about in the undergrowth, so I approached cautiously, not knowing what I might find myself in the middle of.

When I got to the edge of the trees and peered into the shadows, the commotion turned out to be two wallabies having a no-holds-barred scrap, charging, kicking and grappling with each other, while grunting and panting with their exertions! This vigorous battle continued for about five minutes until one noticed me watching and froze, at which the other looked around to see what had caused the interruption and also spotted me. They immediately bolted off in different directions and my magic David Attenborough moment ended.

I did see a black crow sitting on the fence with a golf ball in it's beak . This was on the beach . It dropped down onto the beach and put the golf ball in a foot print in the sand . It then covered the ball up with it's beak . Saving it up for a another day ...

If an emu gets interested in you, put your fingers and thumbs together like a beak, and stick your arm in the air.

In emu world, the biggest individual gets to be the boss, so making your self look taller than the emu makes them wary and they keep their distance.

Looking at a group of emus at Tidbinbilla once, I told this story to my future wife, and she did not believe me, so I jumped the fence and showed that it worked. Mob of emus get interested and approach (probably hoping for a handout) - stick hand in the air and they keep their distance. Lower hand and they approach again, etc.

I must have seen Vincent Serventy do this on his Nature Walkabout show when I was a kid in the '60s, and always remembered it. Incidentally, Harry Butler got his start on TV on that show.

Latest posts