Need New Camera

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my new camera, a Lumix tz40. Takes really good pics, for me anyway, very happy with it. So thanks guys for all your advice. Some pics from recent trip to GT Victoria end of February. All up found 10 bits with my 5000. Also found my first coin, a four pence "groat" 1846
1425782419_p10100801.jpg
1425782450_p10100841.jpg
1425782484_p10100911.jpg
1425782556_p10101011.jpg
1425782577_p10101051.jpg
1425782604_p10101091.jpg
1425782636_p10101201.jpg
1425782659_p10101251.jpg
1425782677_p10101271.jpg

Nice looking gold, and a groat for your first coin is awesome!

I swear by the 'Tough' line of cameras. Most of the major company's make a version. They are all water proof, drop/shock proof, dust proof, freeze proof. Amazing little inventions. Ive had four different ones over the last nine years. The only thing that kills them is taking them too deep when snorkelling. Apart from that their pretty bulletproof. Ive had 2 Olympus TGs, One Panasonic FT3 and now back to an Olympus TG3 (my favourite of the bunch).
The Panasonic I carried thru the jungle as a day/night tour guide in all weathers. For 2 years. Stinking hot, rain, muddy. Also I fish a lot and always take a camera with me so a waterproof camera is essential. Thru all this the little buggers just keep going. Get home after an outing and just rinse off the mud, fish blood,dust off under a tap. Their great when im out fossicking cause there is so much dust which will kill most cameras.
They take unbelievable closeup/macro shots. (Ill try to put some on here)
Best of all you just turn em on and press a button. You can muck with the setting a little bit if you want too but I found that most of the time the cameras brain could work out the best setting needed for the situation and take the best shot.
They are also small enough to keep clipped to your belt or in your back pack. As ive found the best camera to have is the one you have in your hand. If its too delicate or expensive and you leave it in your car or at home its no good to you.
I suggest doing some research of your own. Google something like 'best tough camera' or 'tough camera review'. There's ship loads of info out there comparing them all which makes it easy to find the one that best suits your needs.

I've been taking pictures for over 40 years and although I had a SLR 35mm camera, lenses and filters etc, I decided to simplify when I went digital.

For that reason I chose the Fuji Finepix, mine being 3-4 years old and probably superceded.

It is not a true DSLR in that the lens is fixed and cannot be removed. I looked at the DSLRs at the time and most come with a 50mm lens as standard, then you have to buy more lenses for telephoto and again for wider than 50mm.

My Finepix lens is a one touch adjustable from 28mm to 400mm so almost immediately adjustable from wide to telephoto without having to carry and swap lenses. It also has a macro function and like most will take video.

I added a UV filter to the lens mainly to protect the lens, I scratch it and it's only $30 to replace.

Cameras are much like cars and detectors, you buy what suits your needs at the price you can afford........

peterau said:
Hi All, my camera has just died and I need to buy a replacement. I dont know much about them and could anybody offer advice as to my best choices. I am not into photography much but need a camera to have in my backpack for those as needed times. Basically looking for, small, robust, not overly expensive,maybe zoom, good picture quality and most importantly I would prefer something that can take very clear close up pics of my small gold so I can delude myself. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers peterau

Its great to see a thread where a question is asked, opinions are given and a positive outcome. Good choice, looks like you found exactly what you wanted Pete!

Yes i sure did Twapster , very happy with the camera. Narrawa ,lol no teacher, just good advice and a good camera. Peterau

I vote for the Olympus Tough series as well. I bought my TG-2 for photographing small spiders, an interest of mine. But it has become my favourite for most shots I need. (And yes, I own two DSLRs as well as small Canon and Nikon point-and-shoot cameras.)

The only thing bad about the TG-2 is that it uses a unique USB charging cable, (and so does my little Nikon). But I lost the Olympus cable at one stage and had to order a spare off eBay. It was hard finding the right one.

I like my gadgets to have more common interfaces, then I'm more likely to have a spare lying around the house. :)

DavidH

Peter great work and the camera takes a great shot by the looks of it.

If you don't have one, go and get a little tripod, something you can carry, plus it will make those macros shots really sharp, as you won't have any hand movement.

Small tripod, manual focus, 2 second timer delay, press button stand back. See how you go. A cheap tripod will do but remember a good one will last you.

Ive done a fair bit of photography and I'll also third the Olympus tuff series of cameras.

I've taken mine diving , motor cross riding ,mountain climbing attached to the outside of my pack, holidaying across the globe and the little bugger is still going strong.

I've also got some fancy Canon gear to compare it to and for the money they're great!

1543994590_fb_img_1543994269077.jpg

1543994609_fb_img_1543994294891.jpg

Latest posts