Native Australian Bees

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngerManagement

Repairs + X-pointers
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Another rescue in the works today as a pre inspection...

A: A few little guards on duty.

1549105909_2019-02-02_16.42.16_medium.jpg

Inside the water meter. A bit stressed. Good brood, but low on Stores and Bee numbers... I think they have survived a swarm or been freshly taken over/ Heat stress.

1549105909_2019-02-02_17.38.06_medium.jpg

And could not spot a queen...

1549105909_2019-02-02_17.38.17_medium.jpg

Then again, I do love my solitary natives as well, as they all have a place, and more so than some of the people around lol.

The boys all roosting together, the ladies go to their little ground burrow or hang out on their own.
1549105909_2019-01-30_19.46.53_medium.jpg

AngerManagement said:
Another rescue in the works today as a pre inspection...

A: A few little guards on duty.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...760/1549105909_2019-02-02_16.42.16_medium.jpg

Inside the water meter. A bit stressed. Good brood, but low on Stores and Bee numbers... I think they have survived a swarm or been freshly taken over/ Heat stress.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...760/1549105909_2019-02-02_17.38.06_medium.jpg

And could not spot a queen...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...760/1549105909_2019-02-02_17.38.17_medium.jpg

Then again, I do love my solitary natives as well, as they all have a place, and more so than some of the people around lol.

The boys all roosting together, the ladies go to their little ground burrow or hang out on their own.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...760/1549105909_2019-01-30_19.46.53_medium.jpg

We had some big bees like those in the last photo living in burrows under our house, they didn't sting but gave the girls a scare. I googled them and they came back as Teddy Bear Bees, would that be correct?

The Teddy Bear is bigger and just like a teddy bear... furry and that light orange colour and loud.

These are Blue Banded ones and almost as loud but a tad smaller.

The teddy bear are much more solitary and have yet to find them roosting. I think they go back to their burrows.

The BB Bees nest in burrows in dirt under houses or in walls or even mulch. You can get extra close when they're roosting.

And like most of the natives, they do not sting. Many many different bees in Australia and worth knowing those in your area.

Have a few of the little blue bum ones in the garden veg patch, they love the cherry tomato flowers, used to get a red bum'd one on the farm in NSW found the hive in an old fence post... loved them so left them in peace. No point in going after the honey as there's so little of it.

There's someone on the Hwy around the Plainland area that sells them with a hive, been past a couple of times but at the wrong time to drop in.

These little buggers have been mining the mortar out of my house this year . I have been in repair mode with mortar in a caulking gun . Turns out they like Basil flowers tomato plant flowers and blond brick houses with white mortar . And a hot western wall . BINGO they love my place . I have only seen one on a basil plant . Sounded like a drone when it came in what a great looking Bee . I can live around them unless they become a big problem . Not many people have even heard of a Blue Banded Mason Bee .

Dunning Kruger lol

You do not know, what you do not know.

And once aware, you will spot them in many places.

The Blue Banded ones etc do not make honey etc as they are solitary.

But the are one of the best pollinators. It is via them that science worked out the best way for mass pollination via mechanical/ electronic means.

Let them I your brick work etc. ? if you can.

And then try and spit the Male ones roosting of an evening. They disappeare over winter as they hibernate and breed for the next year..

The small black natives are great and a small amount if honey. But I just like the Blue banded ones.

Latest posts