Narooma Turquoise

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever explored the turquoise deposits around Narooma?

I was having a look at a map yesterday and came across it.

Supposedly poor quality according to mining reports.

This has been on my list to do also Eric2017. I have read the information on aussie lapidary forum also, but I'm sure there must be other places in the area it can be found. Anyway, you can get some ideas form the above link that LW posted. I thought the rest area on the left side of the highway traveling south may be worth a look. There is a walk along the lake there, who knows you may get lucky. Just check the map as some parts of the lake are National Park. Also on the right of the highway is a crown land fossicking site. Might be worth while trying to find it, but it looked a bit hard to access when I last looked. Looked like it was surrounded by private property with the only access across the creek. Good luck, K

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of taking a look up in Bodala SF behind where the old mine would have been.

Hit the tracks for an explore today.

First stop we tried to find the old turquoise mine. As we found out later as noted in this thread it is on private property.

So we did a bit of 4wd. Heard there was old gold mines along Lawsons Creek so headed in the direction. Stopped at the creek to have a look, not easily accessible and was out with thr family.

Ran into some locals out 4wding there and had a good chat. The track near Lawsons Creek which is now blocked off, used to have a crusher for a gold mine on it. Will have to get back there and walk in for a look.

Headed back via a track which was closed on advice from the local couple. Soon found out why. Track was washed away and a very steep long drop. Managed to just squeeze the big GU by it. My son had a bit of a freak out when he looked down!

Wound up having a pan along Billa Bilba Creek, didnt find anything but a great day out exploring.

Latest posts