Mysterious coin found on 1st day out beach detecting at Malabar

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

With my x-terra 305 I found the usual junk pieces, but I found this old coin with my naked eyes near the water's edge. It was wedged in a tight crevice. There's writing on the right side, but I can only make out a "D." Malabar has been the site of 5 shipwrecks since the late 1800's and if this is a coin from one of those that would be cool, but it could be an ordinary penny that got eaten by the saltwater over time.

1383386855_coin.jpg

white viniger over night will take most of the green away and will help you see what it is

I don't think I'll try to clean it. (Might put it in my marine coral tank as a feature item as it has a barnacle on it haha)

Sa_bogan said:
white viniger over night will take most of the green away and will help you see what it is

ah ok, I was thinking if I try to clean it I might damage it.

can you measure it? that would help identify it.

Kindest reagrds
Phillip

Heatho said:
That's a very old Halfpenny I think from the diameter, if it was originally 29-30mm it could be a 1770-1775.

Here's the link I found it on.

http://www.predecimal.com/british_coins_identification.php

That's what gets me about beach detecting, hard to find anything in good condition. :)

Nice find.

Wow, that would be awesome if it is that old! Definitely wasn't expecting anything that early as Captain Cook didn't rock up until 1788, but who knows. Could a half penny survive that long in saltwater?
Thanks for the link! I appreciate the help :)

I'm really not sure Leah how low long it could survive the salt but anything is possible detecting. I found a 1846 Shilling in a goldfield which looked like it was dropped yesterday after a quick clean.

I'm a novice on coin ID, still very old whichever way. I'm actually thinking it's an 1825-1859 now. Almost impossible to tell when so corroded.

Congrats on the shilling! That's so cool. I have no clue when it comes to coin ID. But I'll give it a vinegar bath and see how I go.

Hi again, thanks for the measurement.

its a 1911-1936 Australian Penny.
i can just make out the "X and D but not the F" at 2 o'clock in the first photo as in "reX:F:D:IMD:IMP

The 1770-1775 English Half Penny has a more widely spaced legend.

hope that helps
phillip

Philski said:
Hi again, thanks for the measurement.

its a 1911-1936 Australian Penny.
i can just make out the "X and D but not the F" at 2 o'clock in the first photo as in "reX:F:D:IMD:IMP

The 1770-1775 English Half Penny has a more widely spaced legend.

hope that helps
phillip

Yes, the mystery has been solved. It's a 1920 one penny with George on the back. After the vinegar bath I scratched away at it since it's already corroded to buggery. Thanks Philips.

1383455012_front.jpg
1383455047_1047-9550-3355r.jpg

1383455079_back.jpg
1383455104_1047-9550-3355o.jpg

Thanks LM, i didnt realise the English Penny had the same legend as the Australian Penny on that side of the coin. The other side (L) of the obverse is different as is the crowned King George V. My bad, sorry. I thought they were different.

1920 English Penny
Mintage 124,693,485
Diameter 30.81 millimetres
Weight 9.45 grams
Copper 95%
Tin 4%
Zinc 1%

1920 Australian Penny
Design by W. H. J. Blakemore
Mintage 9,041,000
Diameter 30.80 millimetres
Weight 9.45 grams
Copper: 97%
Zinc: 2.5%
Tin: 0.5%

have a fantastic day
Phillip

Philski said:
Thanks LM, i didnt realise the English Penny had the same legend as the Australian Penny on that side of the coin. The other side (L) of the obverse is different as is the crowned King George V. My bad, sorry. I thought they were different.

1920 English Penny
Mintage 124,693,485
Diameter 30.81 millimetres
Weight 9.45 grams
Copper 95%
Tin 4%
Zinc 1%

1920 Australian Penny
Design by W. H. J. Blakemore
Mintage 9,041,000
Diameter 30.80 millimetres
Weight 9.45 grams
Copper: 97%
Zinc: 2.5%
Tin: 0.5%

have a fantastic day
Phillip

Phil, your guess was very close. no need to be sorry. every bit of info helps. thanks mate :)

Latest posts