My misadventures......

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Put my unit together yesterday.
No glue was involved.....thats a bonus, so my forefinger & thumb on the left hand are actually separated for a change.

I also read instructions (for a change)......apparently Ground Balance isnt about walking a straight line with the meat tray from the bbq to the backdoor whilst fibbing to the cheese & kisses about how many frothies you've consumed in the meantime ?....but anyhoo.....

Dug some holes & buried some bolts, nails & currency etc to practice on.
That was a debacle. ..with my two dogs (plus two others here at the time) it became a digging frenzy....until I locked them up on the deck & gave them all a chicken neck to chew on.

Only then did I find my first non planted coin....a '77 one cent piece under where the old washing line used to be.

.....to be continued.

My detector isn't anything special.....sort of entry level...much like meself (just ask the wife !)

But 4 kids later she adapted to me.

....I guess I will with it in time also...we'll see :lol:

Forum wouldn't let me post pics yet.....but anyhoo.

Hi PB,
Entry level, high level or somewhere in between doesn't matter one bit unless you're out there enjoying it, better to start with something cheaper but serviceable and getting to know it well and learning how it, and you, perform out in the field, swing speed, where to look, what to listen for in tone changes etc,etc will all help for when you decide you love the game and decide to upgrade.
Have fun, Tom

Thanks Tom,
I agree.
I do need to get some headphones though.
So as to block the background noise of the dogs, the kids....

...& to wear inside when the mother in law comes over for dinner !

Found a bit of junk today, pull tabs, screw caps, some foil, screws etc.
Broken bits off what looks like old army toys too.
Only two coins found today. An Aussie '69 twenty cent piece & a brown coin with what appears to be Japanese writing on it ?...only thing I can understand is the numeral 10. So I gather its a 10 yen coin ?

Regardless, I managed to scratch it digging it out......was down 3-4 inches.

On the downside, a friend of mine recently went through a divorce. So in order to keep his business & Super he basically handed over the family home & holiday house to his now ex missus. But the split was amicable, they both still talk ok & the kids do not get played as pawns by either side & his access to them is unlimited, he can have them pretty much whenever he wants.
On the plus side.....he last week settled on an inner suburban shop, two storey. He intends to gut it, renovate, then run his business downstairs & live above.
The place is very rundown (so I've been told, I'm yet to see it). Its more than 100 years old apparently & also has a grassed backyard with rear lane entry.
Tomorrow I'm off to help him start cleaning up with my 3 eldest boys, I'm going to take the detector along for a swing in the backyard too.
Who knows ?....might be a good opportunity?

Well that storm front that ripped through parts of Melbourne last night caused a fair bit of damage overnight. Our power went out a couple of times during the night. Then we awoke at first light to find that a branch from the neighbours front yard had given way & decided to rest itself across the footpath & onto the bonnet of one of my son's Toyota (he was parked on the nature strip). So he now has a nice plate sized crumple as a result. He's fortunate to have gotten away with that to be honest.
I took some pics (not sure how to upload from the phone though)???
Then we got to my mates soon to be shop/residence.
wow, its in very poor nick internally, but fortunately he has a large budget to renovate with ! No doubt it will look great when its finally completed.
The backyard is entirely overgrown,
Grass/weeds are nearly knee high (and thats only because its wet & lying on its side ! Otherwise I reckon it would be mid thigh)
The prospect of detecting here today looks slim.
Hopefully the grass will dry up a bit, then I'll get the brushcutter onto it.
There is an old brick DIY built bbq setup down back in one corner, 3 short logs surround it (seating by the looks of it)
Other corner has an old wooden shed thats falling apart that still has quite a fair bit of wood stacked in it (bbq fuel).
So far all I've managed to find are two old heavy water meter covers that were lying side by side in the grass near the rear gateway. The larger, older one is quite rusted MBW displayed on the sides. The newer smaller one is in much better condition. MMBW 3/4 is displayed on the top of it.
I'll take both home to clean up.
Anyhoo, smoko is over & I better get back into cleaning up.
Cheers.

Lunch break finally,
We moved all the remaining firewood from the shed & packed it into our 3 car boots. Will drop it off at Bro in laws for his open fire.
Behind the wood stack we found 2 things, some charcoal stacked in the corner, I filled 6 plastic shopping bags with it. Will put it to use at home in the kettle bbq & on the spit.
Also a leather satchel, the zipper was rusted shut & just wouldn't budge. So I sliced it open as carefully as I could.
It contained 2 Football Records, 1988 & 1989 grand final editions. A rather largish but thin book about Aussie Rules called 'Violent Saturday' that has a pic of I think of Carl Ditterich knocking guys over on the front cover, & a pic of Peter Knights putting his left shoulder into I believe Kevin Sheedy's left cheekbone on the back? Theres many great photos all B&W inside it. Not sure when it was published?
There was also an entire newspaper from September 25, 1988. Paper is called the 'Sunday Press' ? I'll have a good read tonight.
There was another mag too, called 'The Footballer Magazine'. Vol 4. No.3 from 1980 I believe? Its another Aussie Rules mag. My son's were laughing about the visible breasts on women in the magazines advertisements for products like Drum ciggies & VAFA insurance etc.
I probabably laughed louder though when they said "Dad it says 3KZ uninterrupted football with Ian Major & Jack Dyer, who's 3KZ who's Ian & who's Jack & what would interrupt a football call"?
LOL
Anyhoo back too it.

Brushcutting out the back is done, as is the racking into a pile ready for the skip's arrival tomorrow.
There is a fair amount of broken clay through the grass ( outside pots?). It caused cr@p flying every which way with the brushcutter, not fun.
When racking I did find a largish rusted wood file on the yard I believe? (minus a handle) Will take it home to restore
The roof space on top of the second storey in this joint is minimal, so I sent my youngest (smallest) son up there. He came done unhappy, reckons theres no insulation up there other than rat or mice sh@t :)
But before the batteries carked it in the torch he brought down a big paper bag that contained 3 books.
First was called the' Empire Youth Annual' 1946.
Second was called 'The Boy Annual' 1946-47'
Third was 'The Boy Annual 1948'

He said theres other sh@t up there... but I can go get it myself.
Whats wrong with kids these days?

I have photos, just not sure how to get them off a smart phone by a not so smart user to the forum?
Time to go home now, dinner to cook afterall.
Cheers.

Ramjet said:
Should be a great spot to detect one all the cap is cleared out.

Yeah hopefully,
Apparently from what I'm told backpackers were rented out for many years ago above the old antique shop (rear stairway access from the lane). But squatters whilst its been vacant have done the most damage.
One back room downstairs in particular just reeks of urine
Sad in so many ways.

Middle Son went up into the roofspace using his phone as a torchlight. We laughed as he went into a sneezing fit but he brought down an envelope that had some Jack Daniels advertisements/labels? that I've never seen before? There are 6 of them.
Need to know how to upload photos to share,???

Piston_Broke said:
Middle Son went up into the roofspace using his phone as a torchlight. We laughed as he went into a sneezing fit but he brought down an envelope that had some Jack Daniels advertisements/labels? that I've never seen before? There are 6 of them.
Need to know how to upload photos to share,???

Pics need to be under 1 meg so you will probably have to reduce the size. Then you click in the image icon above. Circled in red in this pic. Then select your files to upload.

1425186389_pic1.jpg

Sooooooooo,.... what type of detector Is it PB,...... we don't need a photo for that , just a brand name and type will suffice, that way we can offer advice that will be invalululable(worthless lots) to you(ha).

silver said:
Sooooo,... what type of detector Is it PB,...... we don't need a photo for that , just a brand name and type will suffice, that way we can offer advice that will be invalululable(worthless lots) to you(ha).

Hi Silver,
I've got a 705 that I've only used at parks so far.
Unfortunately, work dictates that my next 2 weekends will be spent in Europe. My wife my yet dictate that the one after that must be soent at home too ?....we'll see ?

Sorry, continued here, had posting probs.
My eldest son will return with better lighting when I'm away to finish cleaning out the roofspace.
Until I get back? Who knows?
Cheers

I use a Garrett ACE250, but I'm sure there are plenty of 705 users on here that will happily point you in the right direction regards settings and numbers PB.

Latest posts