my first attempt at making a sluice need some advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scotty, the blue bowl will work best with the "black sand" sized cons. This is the material you will be sucking up in your snuffer bottle, it will contain the small gold that is left int he bottom of the pan and some sand that is just to small to quickly remove from the pan. The flow in the bowl should be strong enough to make the sand look like a circular saw blade, when it is at this speed, you should notice the sand separating and moving up the funnel. The whole process should take no more than 10 mins to clear a bowl. Limit the amount to about one and a half to two cups of concentrates. I would recommend you put a small pan under the outlet so you can catch any gold while getting the feel of the blue bowl.

As far as home cleanup goes. It all depends on how much you bring home and the faith you have in your equipment, with practice, a 20 ltr bucket of half inch material should take about 40 mins to clear, that is till you have no black sand and all the gold, it comes with practice practice practice. I usually reclassify through a 1/4 inch or 6.5mm screen I got for ten bucks at bunnings, big green thing in the lawn care aisle. I use a Super Sluice pan as I find this pan the fastest and lets no gold go. I use a big tub and 3/4 fill with water, I then load about 6 or 7 scoops of sand into the classifier and go for it... I only load about half the pan, this is easier on the hands and is quicker, it is less fatiguing in the long run.. also you can get to the bottom of the pan faster...

Give a good stratify for at least 30 seconds then start the dip/tilt action, 3 dips, stratify, 3 dips, stratify, keep going till the pan is almost empty, you will see the gold easy enough, just suck it up into the snuffer bottle and keep going, when you have gone through the bucket, put some some clean water in another pan, tip the snuffer bottle into your main pan and clean out into the pan rather than the tub.. any gold you lose will go into the pan making it easier to find... put a few DROPS of dish washing liquid or chlorine bleach into the pan so the gold will settle quicker..

Keep going until all gold is recovered and in your vial

there are many set ups for recirculating sluices for home clean up, usually these are used for bulk clean ups.. you should be aiming to use a small sluice with no matting or carpets, you will only have to clean these up.. Mackirk work great for this, check you tube for home clean up sluices videos, many pros out there with good ideas, adapt what is best and use what you have

Well a lot of stuff in there, I am sure some of the more experienced members will add to this thread, just practice mate, I am not sure how much experience you have, but when I started I went to a local creek and filled a couple of buckets with gravel, I cut a lead sinker into 1 - 3 mm bits and put about 5 or 6 pieces into each pan and went for it, the aim is to have all the lead in your pan at the end... before I was through the first bucket I was recovering all the lead. great way to practice, you will learn the feel of your pan and how much you can easily process in each pan, remember if you are panning in a stream, you can be doing this for a few hours on a good patch. you dont want to tire your self in the first half hour...

good luck mate

Tone

Great tips here, I get my miners moss cheep in the for of $2 shop front door matts. Takes a little cutting but works the same. Ill post some pic's as soon as I figure out how 2 lol

Latest posts