MV KRAIT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in the 80's i was working with the department of defence /Navy as a Mechanical Fitter with a section called support craft group . We were based at Putney on the Parramatta River where we did repair and refit work on all the Navys support vessels up to about 100ft.
It was very common to see boats that needed major repairs being towed up to our wharves , they we always familiar looking so they never drew much attention until oneday a rather strange vessel was being towed up and tied along side our pontoon.

The name on the side " KRAIT " didnt give any of us a clue to what it was or where it was from but a few rumours about its origins made me intrigued enough to find out more. Pre internet then i had to use a library to investigate and found a book called the Heroes . The book told me the story about the Krait which was an old Japanese fishing boat and the Allied forces used it to ferry people away from Singapore when it was being invaded by Japan.
Being Japanese in origin it seemed to avoid Jap plane attention while other boats were sunk on they way to safety on neighboring islands. This didnt go unoticed by Australian Renoylds and Brittish Ivan Lyon who organised to have the old vessel sent to Australia for they had special plans for its use.
Over a year later it was sailed back to Japanese occupied Singapore not with civilians but a crew of secret Z Special Unit comandoes on one of the most daring and successful raids in wartime history.

1483492777_krait.jpg

More to come.

I may be totally Wrong but I think that boat is in Brisbane somewhere now.... Or Was in Brisbane for a while... It has a very interesting history that one.....

LoneWolf...

It has been based at Darling Harbour Maritime Museum for quite a few years now after retiring as a volunteer coastal patrol vessel .
Ill add some more details tomorrow hopefully. :cool:

:rolleyes: That's where I saw it Darling Harbour Maritime Museum. :rolleyes: ...... Im thinking of the Old Boat at the Museum in Brisbane.... silly me 8)

LoneWolf....

I ended up tracking down my own copy of the book to read over the following months as we went about restoring the beautiful old Krait . We rebuilt the original old 6 cycliner Gardener diesel that was instaled especially for the daring raid back in 1943. I would sit on the bunk in the engine room and eat lunch while reading and think about Paddy McDowell the engineer who once also used the bunk to sleep as he looked over the engine listening and praying it would never miss a beat.
To me it wasnt a job anymore going to work , it was an absolute honor and privilege to be part of something so special and significant to our Australian history. I was able see ,stand and touch every part of that boat that i had read about and share in some little way the amazing heroic journey that it took 14 great brave men on .
1483566179_2017-01-05_08.23.13.jpg

Just like the Krait my book is also a bit run down , i guess ive read it at least 10 times now. Ive bought many other books and dvds about Z Special Unit . Below is a link to a little documentary done on the ABC that will explain the story about the Krait and Operation Jaywick .
I hope after watching you may be able to understand why ive developed a life long respect and admiration for the Krait and those who served upon her and why i was so lucky that once considered ugly old boat crossed my path in life.

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2015/s4208179.htm

I have several movies made which do a pretty good job of recreating the story without distorting the truth to make dramatic tv . Their story was already real and dramatic so poetic licence wasnt nessasary thankfully.
I will post them on youtube in the next few days or so.
Ill finnish of with a couple of photos.

In reading one of my books i came across a an old black and white photograph of two Z Special operatives training with their fold up Folboats .
I knew roughly where it was takien so i set about finding exactly where.
I motored around the bay and nothing stood out to provide a clue , as the day went on the tide started to subside and the puzzle started to come together.
Well as you can see in my colour picture i was able to stand pretty well on the same patch of sand as the original photographer . Over 70 years had past but looks almost exactly the same.
1483567887_v6bnjtisttto1s5l7c_6f0mcbkmj4rqmjgy5n-qfaybr0u6p2g2ld13z1s8zmqtvbsjfusamumyhrqr2zfdwll54qopgoqds6bf9gwz54vlqcwvlvgzvhryrbyaprkj-twctw470-h313-nc.jpg

1483567928_z2009.jpg

GaryO said:
Yeah thats the one .. thanks ., ill try get a version up in one piece , hopefully no more than 2 pieces.
You probably won't be able to due to copy write laws, that's how people get away with it on youtube, if it's a small snippet, you are allowed to.

The story of the Krait is only one of many daring raids that the Allies embarked upon behind enemy lines in World War 2.

Back in the late 1980's I used to frequent a hotel in the Sydney CBD and on of the old blokes who lived upstairs used to like to have a beer with anyone who would share the time of day with him. He would often start his story with" Have you heard of the story of the Krait? "
He would go onto say that the members of the Krait were part of Z Special Force and the he knew them very well. When I asked was he a member of Z force he would reply No. He would then say that he was part of another group that he , 40 odd years after the war ended could not speak about as it was classified.

Most of the regulars in this pub dismissed my mate as a silly old bugger trying to glorify his war service by saying that what he did was still classified. In the 3 or so years that i shared a drink with my mate, his story of his war service never changed.

I wont go into details of his service but he started in the Navy and ended up transferring to the Army and ended up a comando.

In late 1989 my mate died unexpectedly. I was only 1 of 6 people to attend his funeral. One of the others was an Army Colonel.

After the Minister had given his standard speech the Colonel took to the dais. His first words were. "Everyone has head of the Krait and the Commandos from Z Force! Well , the missions that Marcus and his comrades were involved and the medals that these men received will never be declassified in our life times .

After the funeral I went back into the pub and told all the people the used to just regard the bloke as an old drunk stuck in WW2 exactly what the Colonel had said.

Im not trying to take anything away from the operations the Z Force and the missions on the Krait.

The legend of the Krait is a fantastic memorial to all the members both, known and unknown, that took part in behind the lines operations in WW2 that we, as the general public will never know about.

I also had an occasion to meet a very old sailor who I am sure was involved in some way.
I visited an old guy in approx 1990 at Woy woy on the Central Coast of NSW (i was doing meals on wheels charity work)

This old guys house was full of photos and memorobilia from ww2.
I got to speak with him many times and while he was a little confused he continually spoke about the krait and he had several old photos of the boat.

one day he showed me his service medals and seriously he had two rows - must have been 20 medals and he could hardly hold them.

a privilege to meet and talk to someone like that

Latest posts