Musicians?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are there any musicians on the Forum?

Tell us what instrument play and your musical tastes.
I'm a singer song writer.
I love power rock ballads but I'll listen to just about anything.

Was a wanna be muso for a few years, was in 2 bands, niether came to anything more than a few gigs, mainly for our own enjoyment.
I play bass and rythem guitar, but always bass in the bands.
Started with a cimar bass, then gor a 2nd hand rickenbaker that I loved more than anything I have ever owned....sold it to a pawn shop in hunter st newcastle in the late 80, s to buy fishing gear....I really regret selling it. Now I have an old epiphone (not a chinese one) and no bass, had an acoustic bass, but sold that last year when I discovered that I really really like gold, and ill probably never play in a band again....

Musical tastes....Australian pub rock, Radio Birdman, Sunnyboys, Hoodoo Gurus, Saints, Nick Cave (Grindermen) the NewmChrists (my fav at the moment), old heavy bands like Black Sabbath,
Older pychadelic bands, the 13th floor elevators, Donovan, the stones, masters apprentices, the doors, pink floyd....so many!
jeez I forgot to list Ian Dury and the blockheads, the celebate rifles, Brian Ferry....Oh, and Rush!.....and the Pouges

Cheers davent.

Nice to meet ya.
I've played gigs in bands and duos on and off for 15 years around Melbourne.
Nothing big. Small pubs and private gigs. Haven't played for about 5 years now.
Did have regular gig at a little pub in Ferntree Gully for a few years. I miss it. It's such a rush when you can wind a small pub crowd up onto the dance floor.
Music has been my best mate!

Played lead guitar and vocals in bands for 30 years. Still do a bit of solo stuff to keep the fingers moving.
Too old and fat now.
Still got my Black Gibson les Paul custom with Gold hardware, my standard Gibson SG, my cherry red Gibson 335, my 71 custom Fender Tele and my 85 fender Strat to name a few.(plus my Fender twin reverb, my vox and my Marshall.)
Owned a music shop in the old days called sound Junction and had a recording studio too. Geez that was a long time ago.
Keep rockin!!

GT :)

I'm a guitarists/drummer, I play mainly metal but like most types of music, rock, jazz, blues. Played a few giggs here in Adelaide but after my second child I've put my music on the backburner but love to get back into it soon! :)

davent said:
Was a wanna be muso for a few years, was in 2 bands, niether came to anything more than a few gigs, mainly for our own enjoyment.
Started with a cimar bass, then gor a 2nd hand rickenbaker that I loved more than anything I have ever owned....sold it to a pawn shop in hunter st newcastle in the late 80, s to buy fishing gear....I really regret selling it. Now I have an old epiphone (not a chinese one) and no bass, had an acoustic bass, but sold that last year when I discovered that I really really like gold, and ill probably never play in a band again....

Musical tastes....Australian pub rock, Radio Birdman, Sunnyboys, Hoodoo Gurus, Saints, Nick Cave (Grindermen) the NewmChrists (my fav at the moment), old heavy bands like Black Sabbath,
Older pychadelic bands, the 13th floor elevators, Donovan, the stones, masters apprentices, the doors, pink floyd....so many!
jeez I forgot to list Ian Dury and the blockheads, the celebate rifles, Brian Ferry....Oh, and Rush!.....and the Pouges

Appropriate for a bass player .. You look like Geddy Lee :p
With a touch of Nigel Planer ( aka "Neil" Wheedon Watkins Pye) :lol:
Not a bad playlist at all ;)

I have always been in to Rock"a"Billy music and Rock"N"Roll and The Shadows, I play Rockabilly because of the fun and the way it makes me feel, Carl Perkins, Early Elvis "Sun Recordings" . I like some of Brian Setzer's music with the Stray Cats, But I also like Ian Moss Cold chisel and Barnsie and Tommy Emmanuel and Albert Lee, Clapton

But it is Eddie Cochran and Scotty Moore and Duane Eddy and Hank Marvin that were the driving force in my music, I play my Main Gretsch everyday, No other Guitar has the range that this Guitar has, I have had to re-educate my hands because this one responds to Touch and if you are off slightly, You will hear it,

Haha, Enjoy.,, john

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1VD2Lcx5xA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FvjK8ZhUY

I wouldn't call myself a musician, but I have been a bad guitar player for over 40 years!

I currently have a nice Donmo tricone resonator guitar made by Don Morrison in SA, as well as a nice Takamine solid to acoustic. Over the years I have had sundry electric guitars, including a Maton hollow body model that looked like a Gibson ES 355. Unfortunately, that got burgled in the 80's.

For the last 5 years I have been chairman of the board at the Goulburn Regional Conservatorium, just stepping down from that position earlier this year. I decided to do something about my singing during this time and for four years had proper singing lessons.

I prefer singing jazz standards, and have a particular liking for Johnny Hartman, who made a famous album with John Coltrane. Technically, my favorite jazz singer is Kurt Elling. I like singing Sinatra, Buble, Dean Martin, Bobby Darin, etc.

These days I mostly go to karaoke with my second daughter who is a good singer, and I have a pretty wide repertoire for that, as the key is to play to the audience. My big numbers are New York New York and Buble's spider man theme. In Goulburn country is popular, and the drunks like my versions of Trace Adkins Honkey Tonk Bedonka Donk and Ladies Love Country Boys, as well as Jayce Everett's Bad Things. I sometimes throw in some INXS, Neil Diamond and that kind of stuff. I occasionally throw a curve ball and do the Paul Anka big band version of Smells Like Teen Spirit, which causes some head scratching.

Sandta said:
davent said:

Appropriate for a bass player .. You look like Geddy Lee :p
With a touch of Nigel Planer ( aka "Neil" Wheedon Watkins Pye) :lol:
Not a bad playlist at all ;)

And you just like santa clause! :lol:

Latest posts