mud tyres

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a good mud tyre? Ive heard the mickey tompson claw are the beez kneez any info would be great. Cheers

The Green Wanderer said:
Had my Maxxis Bighorns for 50,000ks still going. Good value for money.

There may be a better tyre out there but value for money spent Maxxis are hard to go past as far as bang for buck.
:)

Muddies increase road noise lots but if you need them Maxxis.
I drove my boys hilux back from WA with MT's, he did not get get good milage.

We run Maxxis Bighorn 764 these are very quiet for a mud tyre these are the second set.......
First set were Maxxis 762 Bighorn a bit noisy but then I don't worry about that we got about 75000 k out of the first set .....
Just my 2 bobs worth .....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Have to agree 100 percent nanjim had both models of bighorns and they were both good prefered the 764 though, running micky t mtz now and will never buy them again il go back to bighorn 764s next

The ultimate mud tyre is by far (in my opinion) is the simex centipede. Bites in hard. Only need 2wd most of the time with them.

I ran 33"x12.5"r15 Mickey Thompson MTZ on King Rims Toyota 6 stud 15x8 -23 offset for 5 years on my 1995 Hilux Ln106 2.8D. I asked the sales guy how many km I would get out of them and he reckoned 50,000km depending on use, I got just shy of 72,000km out of them.

I ran them for as long as I could way past the indicators and bald almost to the belt. Not very smart and outright dangerous too but I had my reasons at the time.

I had absolutely abused them big time off-road rock crawling running them at 12PSI, on-road at 36PSI and they brought me home every time without fault.

I had a few punctures over the years but it was always screws, nails, copper tap washer once and always in the burbs or the city, never off-road. I popped a bead off-road once as I came down a ledge hard and it went right back on with the good ole butane gas and lighter method and never leaked.

The key is to religiously do a tyre rotation every oil change (5,000km for me) and you will have even ware and get every last km out of them providing you have a solid axle otherwise regular wheel alignment if running IFS and tyre rotation will get you the same longevity and even ware.

Last year I reluctantly went with BF Goodrich KM2 at the same size 33"x12.5"r15 as they were $295 each fitted, MTZ's were almost $400 each fitted.

Not sure what I will get out of the KM2's but I miss my MTZ's, they served me very well.

Cheers,

Ross

Edit: My mate was running MT Claws at the same time and his tread was going down quick from observation and no real science as there are too many variables but very noticeable for the amount of times we had been out compared to my MT MTZ's.

MT Claws have a newer tread pattern these days but unsure of rubber compound used if that information makes any difference.

I have got 74000 Km out of my present set should get 80 to 85 out of them. Hold on really well on bitumen and climb just about anywhere, no punctures, good value for money, still hold on well off road. Worth looking on ebay as some good prices there. Ensure you get regular wheel alignment and wheel rotation what ever tyre you get. Ken.

NickThadik said:
bf goodrich km2 mud terrain!
Can't beat them!

Latest posts