Mount Bolton Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Iron

Steve Jones
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had a swing in the Mount Bolton area of central Victoria. It appears to me to be in the right area but can't find anything about its history or alluvial gold potential. Not that far from famous gold bearing locations such as Clunes so thought it was worth the question.

Pig Iron said:
Just wondering if anyone has had a swing in the Mount Bolton area of central Victoria. It appears to me to be in the right area but can't find anything about its history or alluvial gold potential. Not that far from famous gold bearing locations such as Clunes so thought it was worth the question.

To the best of my knowledge that would be because there is no gold known there (and if it is a granite hill like I suspect, little chance of it occurring there). Its surroundings are mostly just lava plains, with some tiny patches of suitable rocks (but no gold known) around Coghills-Creek - Torello, little bigger than tiny road cuttings a metre high. Clunes is near you but few good rocks exposed right in town on private land (the rest is lava flows), so not ideal - it was mostly a giant quartz-gold mine. Creswick forest id your nearest good bet (see Creswick discussion)

Latest posts