Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldfreak said:
kingswood said:
Goldfreak said:
phrunt said:
No, older GPX coils will not work on it, completely different cable type with far more pins connecting the coil, it appears to also have a chip protection system to stop aftermarket coils which also eliminates the use of older GPX coils. Perhaps one day in a few years time Minelab may let an aftermarket manufacturer make a coil or two for it.
Smart machine but even smarter money making tech for minelab.
Very good on them. If I had a multi-million dollar product that I spent millions on developing, I would hide my 11 secret herbs and spices too :)
Sure but tying up the after market coil market was a smart move business wise. Secret herbs and spices :lol:
I think if you look at the 7000 and the 2300, there may well be backdoor agreements.....NF for 7000 and coiltek for 23....
Give it a couple of years and one of them will be making 6000 coils..

Those target's most be is Sandy loam soil the way they performed.

Try the DD down here in Vic on the Maryborough and Inglewood test patch totally different response.

The 11" has no trouble .

I went out with a mate and his virgin 6000 today. Certainly is light and well balanced compared to my SDC. Went to some old sluice workings near high voltage powerlines that have been flogged by everyone in Tassie with a detector. The mono coil was completely unusable due to the emi but the DD was quiet as a mouse, even right under the powerlines. He found a couple of rusty nails, 3 hotrocks and 1 shotgun pellet, I found 3 shotgun pellets, lots of tree roots and one little reefy bit that wouldn't even weigh 0.01 with my equinox 800, the little bit didn't register on the 6000 when you rubbed it on the coil.

StayyerAU said:
G'day

My mate picked his 6000 up today and is heading bush Monday so I should get some feedback in the week when he is in phone range or when he is back at the end of the week, price $7,999, you have to admire minelab for their balls to charge so much though :lol:

cheers

stayyerAU
The price was floated early and people took it up as the price so by the time it was released that price was expected. Clever, they didn't set the price, users did

Rockwall said:
StayyerAU said:
G'day

My mate picked his 6000 up today and is heading bush Monday so I should get some feedback in the week when he is in phone range or when he is back at the end of the week, price $7,999, you have to admire minelab for their balls to charge so much though :lol:

cheers

stayyerAU
The price was floated early and people took it up as the price so by the time it was released that price was expected. Clever, they didn't set the price, users did

No they didnt, codan released the price back in August last year when they had their meeting about 2021.
They said they were going to release new products including a machine between the 5k and Zed at a price around 8K. https://rogermontgomery.com/codan-goes-from-strength-to-strength/

kingswood said:
Jolly good question :)
I wonder how much sensitivity is lost with the DD??

Goldchaser & Kingswood, to answer your questions on the 14, yes as you'd expect some performance is lost compared to the 11" mono which is just super hot. But, it is still very sensitive and in places with a lot of emi it runs a heck of a lot smoother. I took it to a spot with some old workings that sit right up against an electric fence. With the 11" mono I need to be about 70m away to avoid the continual ping every 3-5 secs. With the 14" DD I could be 10m from the fence. In an hour and a half I managed this lot.

1618916223_img_20210420_201614.jpg

All junk, but there's three bits of lead there that are real tiny. A couple of the bigger pieces had some depth to them too. I'm sure there's gold there, just need to spend more time and get the coil over it.

During field testing I was working a spot and the ground was very wet, and this spot is known for having very bad clays. The 11" was moaning and not real happy so I strapped the 14" on. It was a lot quieter and I was able to run the sensitivity 2 clicks higher. I only dug one target and it was a flat bit of gold maybe 20cm down. Can't recall the weight but I remember thinking, "is that it?"
So yeah, it is going to come in real handy when the need arises.

PhaseTech said:
kingswood said:
Jolly good question :)
I wonder how much sensitivity is lost with the DD??

Goldchaser & Kingswood, to answer your questions on the 14, yes as you'd expect some performance is lost compared to the 11" mono which is just super hot. But, it is still very sensitive and in places with a lot of emi it runs a heck of a lot smoother. I took it to a spot with some old workings that sit right up against an electric fence. With the 11" mono I need to be about 70m away to avoid the continual ping every 3-5 secs. With the 14" DD I could be 10m from the fence. In an hour and a half I managed this lot.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3149/1618916223_img_20210420_201614.jpg

All junk, but there's three bits of lead there that are real tiny. A couple of the bigger pieces had some depth to them too. I'm sure there's gold there, just need to spend more time and get the coil over it.

During field testing I was working a spot and the ground was very wet, and this spot is known for having very bad clays. The 11" was moaning and not real happy so I strapped the 14" on. It was a lot quieter and I was able to run the sensitivity 2 clicks higher. I only dug one target and it was a flat bit of gold maybe 20cm down. Can't recall the weight but I remember thinking, "is that it?"
So yeah, it is going to come in real handy when the need arises.
Awesome thanks! Nice to know the sensitivity is still there with the 14, albeit down a small bit

phrunt said:
No, older GPX coils will not work on it, completely different cable type with far more pins connecting the coil, it appears to also have a chip protection system to stop aftermarket coils which also eliminates the use of older GPX coils. Perhaps one day in a few years time Minelab may let an aftermarket manufacturer make a coil or two for it.

Good to know anyway. Possibly part why gumtree is packed with gpx5000 bundles for sale at the moment.

maldongold said:
Check out this youtube link with depth comparisons between the sdc,gpz and the 6000.
https://youtu.be/QdwbHBpN4FA
Thats a pretty good test in my opinion. Sure the smallest target should have been sub 0.1g where the SDC does so well.
Im impressed with the 6000. Its ticking a lot of boxes: size and depth of targets, light, loud audio, collapsible, range of coils. :Y:

Dave79 said:
I went out with a mate and his virgin 6000 today. Certainly is light and well balanced compared to my SDC. Went to some old sluice workings near high voltage powerlines that have been flogged by everyone in Tassie with a detector. The mono coil was completely unusable due to the emi but the DD was quiet as a mouse, even right under the powerlines. He found a couple of rusty nails, 3 hotrocks and 1 shotgun pellet, I found 3 shotgun pellets, lots of tree roots and one little reefy bit that wouldn't even weigh 0.01 with my equinox 800, the little bit didn't register on the 6000 when you rubbed it on the coil.

I wouldn't have guessed that would happen. Weird.... :eek:

davent said:
Rockwall said:
StayyerAU said:
G'day

cheers

stayyerAU

No they didnt, codan released the price back in August last year when they had their meeting about 2021.
They said they were going to release new products including a machine between the 5k and Zed at a price around 8K. https://rogermontgomery.com/codan-goes-from-strength-to-strength/
That was a report by a financial bloke. He said the price would be around $8k. The market didn't buck too much so the price was set. Was in marketing long enough to see what they were doing. Quite normal practice.

Latest posts