Minelab GPX4000 modifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys been looking at upgrades and am interested to hear about what detectors you are using and what mods were done to it. Was it worth the money spent and what were the major changes not just in air tests but out in the gold fields.
I'm using a 4000 has anyone upgraded one of them or do you think it would be worth upgrading ?
Cheers matt

Hi mate, Hoping its kool for me to also add this question...

Sparing no expense on best mods and upgrades for an SD, is it going to perform any where near as good as a GPX?

scott :cool:

Mattem said:
Jeeeezzz get me all excited thought I had a reply ;)

lol...ive recently watched the youtube vids available on minelab mods and from that i know the mods increase sensativity but not depth appareantly?

Think I've watched them all too I thought it was depth also but mainly sensitivity. I did send an email to a moder asking what the best machine to upgrade was and he said best value for upgrades were the sd and gp range

you must realise once you have your detector modified no dealer will trade it in and minelab will not work on them,
Back to the question I do not have a mod detector but a friend has a 5000 that was done down Frankston way he is very happy with it ,it is used every day I was talking to him today once you learn how to use it he say it is quieter and is getting better depth with large and small coils it take a bit of learning regards john :)

old hand said:
you must realise once you have your detector modified no dealer will trade it in and minelab will not work on them,
Back to the question I do not have a mod detector but a friend has a 5000 that was done down Frankston way he is very happy with it ,it is used every day I was talking to him today once you learn how to use it he say it is quieter and is getting better depth with large and small coils it take a bit of learning regards john :)

ok well that makes my decision easy then...a new 5000 it is!

mate i cant seem to find a video that explains in detail the tech and functions of a 5000, ide really like to study the theory so i fully understand exactly how they work. is this info available somewhere or is the for e.g free coarse you get when you purchase through miners den the only way to find out?

cheers scott :cool:

20xwater with the new detector being released some time this year you should get a good deal on a 5000 there have been some near new second hand 5000 at a good price.I am using a 4500 at the moment I did have a 5000 they are all good detector the settings are quiet easy if you start with factory pre sets and build from there ,the important thing is to work slow and concentrate and if you are not sure just ask there are many good people on the forum willing to help regards john :)

The best upgrade for a GPX4000 is to sell it & buy either a GPX4500 or GPX5000.
Mods seem to be pretty hit or miss. Some swear by them & others say their machine is worse afterwards. Unless someone comes up with a mod that would allow good discrimination on a GPX I personally would not touch them or even think they need modifying!

old hand said:
20xwater with the new detector being released some time this year you should get a good deal on a 5000 there have been some near new second hand 5000 at a good price.I am using a 4500 at the moment I did have a 5000 they are all good detector the settings are quiet easy if you start with factory pre sets and build from there ,the important thing is to work slow and concentrate and if you are not sure just ask there are many good people on the forum willing to help regards john :)

exactly mate, 5000's will get cheaper...i just have to wait :cool:

20xwater said:
old hand said:

Maybe a bit cheaper but there is a big gap between say 5 grand for a used 5000 or 9 - 10 grand for a GPZ, I'd say they will hold pretty steady on price for the time being, I wouldn't sell mine for much less than 5 grand.

Heatho said:
20xwater said:
old hand said:

Maybe a bit cheaper but there is a big gap between say 5 grand for a used 5000 or 9 - 10 grand for a GPZ, I'd say they will hold pretty steady on price for the time being, I wouldn't sell mine for much less than 5 grand.

true mate, i dont actually need to buy 1 till the end of this year so if the price of a new one drops at all it will be a bonus.

i want the best on the market but that 9-10k for a detector is a bit of coin ey...i think ide rather the 5000/SDC pack deal for 8.

GPZ and big coil would be reaching big targets at about 1m you think?

Yeah it is a lot of moolah but it's a bit of a toss up to what will suit you most and where you detect. For really shallow bedrock areas the SDC will find nearly any size nugget, high EMI areas it beats the 5000 and is waterproof. 5000 is a great detector but I think the new one will probably find Gold about the same size as the SDC and big stuff a bit deeper than the GPX, it may suit every condition for 2 grand more than the SDC GPX combo deal.

Yeah maybe 1 metre for big stuff i say.

Even buy second hand mate most newish 5000's will still have warranty, I reckon between $4500 and $5000 will get you 1 no worries.

Latest posts