MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
downhalo said:
some machines come out of the factory hotter than others, it can be as simple as a different brand of resistor/diode... that is not a fault, its the components used.

Okay thanks I hope then that the one I get is hotter than others.

washgravel said:
downhalo said:
small lead shot is all the test item you need...

with my VLF machines, i use the ball out of a BIC pen.. :)

Okay if I have a problem I only need to say a "lead shot" test showed my detector is faulty so Minelab should accept that.

If you think your detector is faulty or not responding as it should write out a description of what you think the problem is & send it off to be tested. If you tested it on lead shot & it didn't respond as expected tell them + describe the test i.e. tested with lead shot but no response right on coil, or only responds at 1", machine won't ground balance etc. Include as much as you can about the fault.

If it's under warranty you won't be charged if there is a fault found & all it will cost is postage from you to them. If you have jumped the gun & they find no fault they may charge you but will most likely also re-align/service it while it is there? (never heard of a machine in warranty being charged for work when returned yet) Even out of warranty it should only cost a couple of hundred dollars which isn't that bad considering.

downhalo said:
The guy at minelabmods.com.au is modding the F1A4 now.. Prices below..

Mod at your own risk!

Level 1 it will be $380 plus postage
Level 2 it is $580 plus postage.

So should I be sending mine, that's a no brainer if its the same as the $1250 mods?

Twapster said:
downhalo said:
The guy at minelabmods.com.au is modding the F1A4 now.. Prices below..

Mod at your own risk!

Level 1 it will be $380 plus postage
Level 2 it is $580 plus postage.

So should I be sending mine, that's a no brainer if its the same as the $1250 mods?

It is the same, and he plans to do a level 3 mod at some point, which will replace the mil spec power cable with a standard one.. and route the Audio to the back of the machine.
basically it'll be a slightly ugly SD2200D

Glad it's of help to someone..

I've just sold my last 3 F1 machines, (sad) but at $850ea, I did okay, (coil plug, headphone, and quick track).
My modified unit goes Monday, got $900 for it..

Ended up with $3450.. :) pretty happy with the total

Placed an order for the SDC 2300 this afternoon, also blew a little extra on an SPP, $950 + 48 shipped from US..

can't wait!

Can someone please tell me how these units go using a 12 X 7 or 14 X 9 NF monos compared to the standard 8" coil. No other mods except for the headphone jack and tracking switch?

You're going to drop a little sensitivity, but gain coverage and maybe some depth..

i have the 14" NF mono on my out of the box F1A4, only headphone and coil connector modified.
It works just fine.

As with most detectors larger coil = less sensitivity.

subgram said:
You're going to drop a little sensitivity, but gain coverage and maybe some depth..

i have the 14" NF mono on my out of the box F1A4, only headphone and coil connector modified.
It works just fine.

As with most detectors larger coil = less sensitivity.
Does the 14" NF or any other coil fit onto the original lower shaft or do you need to modify it?

Just a note to anyone buying the stock coil - 5 pin adapters being sold on ebay..

They are a great idea and work well, however! the 5 pin socket on the 3 I've seen have not been grounded, which means bumping or touching the metallic shield will cause the detector to sound off/false...

Simple fix is to buy some 3 core shielded cable, and make sure you solder one of the 3 wires between the 2 connector shells..
Or better yet, just replace the stock coil connector..

Just installed it, working great, can touch it and no wobble.. awesome work.
If only you had remember to bring it today.....

You got it, so keep calm and MINELAB!

Oh, that Freq mod we talked about, running on the bench right now, got the tone/vol/threshold one sorted also.. Interested?

Big $$$ lol..

Bring jen, I got a bunch of machines. Just don't tell her you're spending $$$ on more mods.. ps. if i nuke your machine, You can have one of my stock ones.. :) Maybe.

HI,, L/trommel ,, do you do those mods on the f1A4 ,as I have a non modded one but can't afford to get the $1250 mods done ..
If so how can I get in-toutch with you please..to discuss details etc..I live in SA..

Mine as STD is not too bad as-is but any improvement would be good..

CHEERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BARRY..

barry said:
HI,, L/trommel ,, do you do those mods on the f1A4 ,as I have a non modded one but can't afford to get the $1250 mods done ..
If so how can I get in-toutch with you please..to discuss details etc..I live in SA..

Mine as STD is not too bad as-is but any improvement would be good..

CHEERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BARRY..

Barry, which mods are you looking for?

Honestly, i prefer not to not to work on other peoples machines, one screw up and its bye bye $800 or more on a replacement..

Ismael Jones is doing mods $575 for level 2.. i believe.

HI,L/Trommel ,,, Thanks for reply mate,,, I was looking for the frequency mods mostly to maybe detect deeper with a larger coil .. as I can fit a larger coil to mine with an adapter ..
volume etc is fine as it is for me ..

YES I guess these are delicate machines to work-on one look at the boards in there frightened me!!!..

Even $ 575 is a lot for me mate but thanks anyway..

CHEERS ,,BARRY..

Latest posts