MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've put in some time now to looking at what these ex military machines can and can't do and the various differences between them and other Minelab stock and modified options. Firstly as always it seems detecting gold has a user bias and a small element of luck that will naturally skew any result, so keeping that in mind I've given it some serious consideration.

This machine to me seems like an unsung hero that punches above its weight. Firstly the cost. Unmodded its going to be under a grand for a pi built by minelab, this is a great starting point. Second to this the stock coil is capable of detecting gold, both shallow and small and deeper larger targets. Comparing this for the price range seems like a pretty good deal. Its gb ability is very capable, and here is the kicker, its emi response is extremely low, perhaps stealth like low, after all it makes sense, why build something that detects landmines that is useless if its stormy or close to civilisation? Just ponder that point for a moment it will get you thinking.

Next how does the competition stack up? Well if your serious a pi is going to be an advantage over a vlf. Check out the top level vlf price point, even against a level 1 mod. Its a tempting price point from this perspective, but you are conceding a warranty. But for me I've bought great second hand cars on the private market that served me well without a warranty, and payed more. A mod two is tricky, at this price point other machines come into, play and a new pi is in reach. This is where the waters are muddied, but still an option for low cost gold getting.

The argument is also swayed a little in battery packs, overall the F1A4 seems a vary viable and economical option over the long term compared with other Minelab offerings, perhaps some of the battery mods available close the gap but again a design advantage of the bat, like my little vlf i like the idea of batteries you can get anywhere than can be upscaled to rechargables. That's a handy backup. Inbuilt these machines have the ability to switch down to6v to compensate in power losses, another handy military inclusion. Questions remain, like resale value and seller support for modified units, and they may not be the 5000 but as a solid entry level machine I think they, stack up .

Hey GT, i'm up with your thoughts. I have been doing my fair share of reading and trying to work out which PI machine to buy. Couldn't justify an upfront 2k+ spend. The only seriously under 2k PI detectors out there with consistent good reports seemed to be the SD series.....then voila the F1A4 appears. Stock prices anywhere from $400 to $1200.

I got mine for just under $600 so I cant complain. Having something in my hands will surely push me to get the mods done. I will be doing a test between the Stock F1A4 and the Exterra 70 on gold and will post the results.

I cant see myself being happy unless I get the Mod 2 upgrade. At that point I think I will have a detector that I don't feel embarrassed "hanging out with the boys" in the gold fields. If anything I believe others will be wanting to see how she performs.

And what bloke out there doesn't like the Army Box/ Camo look etc. The more I read, the more i'm confident this detector fills a nice gap in the market for those weekend prospectors who don't want to buy the Rolls Royce but want a "Gold" capable PI machine, and the final $$ on the machine can be done in stages..... buy the stock machine......wait a few pays......get the mod.......wait a few pays......get new coil ...........

Yes before you know it you have spent prob about $2.2k on the final product, but didn't hurt as it was done in stages.

Now if these mods actually do make the machine close to a GP 3000, or as Jack Lange says a GP 3500, its a no brainer.

Look as a detector operator i have zero credibility, I'm using info sourced from many places, and perhaps for that reason I'm less biassed. Just be sure to ask the tough questions when it comes time to do the internals, taking sometimes word for things or a YouTube video probably isn't enough evidence to lay down your hard earned. I think taking the side by side comparison on YOUR machine is the best course of action, and some bench mark needs to be set, some testing you can easily replicate like air tests, ground targets in difficult areas, high emi areas and the like to accurately see enhancement of capabilities. If I tread this path this is the method I intend to employ. Good luck Peter.

Okay here's some info from a guy that owns 3 of the F1 units..

#1 as a stock machine they can be quite the pain in the ass, for 1 reason, "ground balance is a switch on the black of the machine, a (momentary toggle) which requires you to hold it in position..
#2 few very simple mods will make this machine a lot more user friendly, Install a tracking button on the handle, 6.5mm headphone jack, and coil chassis)
#3 in my experience, Frequency, and timing mods make it a stronger machine, however not required to be successful in the gold fields..

1400990526_f1a4_mod-unmod.jpg

For anyone with an F1A4.. I got this email from Minelab..

"Minelab have never made DD coils for the F1A4 and the F1A4 has always been a Mono coil only detector. Details of the Coil Connector are as follows:
COIL SOCKET F1A4 Mine Detector
FRONT PANEL PCB Lead/Wire Function
PIN A J2-A RED Tx +
PIN B J2-B BLACK Tx -
PIN B J2-C WHITE or YELLOW Rx -
PIN A J2-D BLUE Rx +
The use of DD coils on the F1A4 is a feature that has never been released, is not tested and is not supported by Minelab. The F1A4 is not suitable for Landmine or UXO search tasks with a DD coil fitted.
Modification of an F1A4 to replace the coil connector with a different connector that has the separate Tx and Rx connections to take a DD coil is not an approved (by Minelab) modification and Minelab takes no responsibility for any results or consequenses.

David Isles
Technical Support Officer - Countermine Division"

Yeah, No kidding, i mean I understand completely that they have to cover themselves, but in my original email i was very clear EXACTLY what these machines were going to be used for..

I mean i actually spent 40 minutes going over the email, and made 100% sure in in no way implied it was going to be used for mine detection, that they would be used as gold detectors..

Also fair enough, they never tested them with DD coils, cool, fine, whatever... don't need to know that, it has an Rx + Rx - Tx + Tx - it can do DD.. end of story..

- Dh.

Copy that, i've read they work fine with DD and I bet they know that. Its a shame people have to respond to a question by indemnifying their answer in case it bites them in the bum down the track.

Hi Twapster
You have infected me with idea affordable of pulse induction detector. I got Xterra 305 and 705 and although both of them payed for themselfs in the coins I have found, I did not found any gold with either one of them. I'm currently biding on F1A4.
Karl

Mate be careful of snipers, you need to watch to the last 10 seconds and put the best bid that u are comfortable to spend. I was first bidder and had to ...re snipe to get mine!

You should never, ever bid on anything till the last 10 seconds.
Decide what you are willing to pay and bid that amount with 10 seconds to go.
That way you will never lose.
You either get it for what you were willing to pay [or less] or it goes for more than you are willing to pay.
Any other bidding is just useless, a waste of time, and pushed prices up.

You need to be patient. Thats the key here.

I picked up a gp3500 with 11"DD, minelab 15x12 mono
And a 450mm coiltek for $1800.

Another thing becareful what you spend your money on.

We are going through a phase now were new pi detectors
Are being introduced which will lower the value of some
2nd hand detectors.

Modifying a detector to the extent changing it from one
Purpose to another when its time to sell you may not
Get back your full amount you paid for it.

In the next couple of months we will have a new minelab,
And the current 2 whites pulse detectors to choose from,
the garrett atx, 5000 And lots of 2nd hand detectors such
as the popular 4500, 3000, extreme etc.

As more machines are introduced the value of the oldest
And on wards start to drop.

Early this year i saw a tdi pro oz for example with 6" coil,
Standard coil and nugget finder coil sell for less than $1400.

Hope this helps.

Id have to agree with the Wolf. The only circumstance to differ is if you only want to spend $600 today and that's the motivation to keep you interested.....and spend a bit more when u have a little more spare cash......then the F1A4 is a good investment. If I had to pay $1800+ for a good detector on the spot....id be hard pressed paying that. Give me 12 months and I may have a different attitude if you know what I mean. Again I agree with Wolf if you can hold out prices should keep going down!

I think we are going to see a more dramatic drop
In prices than we have ever seen.

Most of the really older sd's have held up in value
But i think changes in prices are going to drop big
Time.

Right now and i don't know for how long you can buy
The whites ssp pulse induction machine for $1100. This
Machine is very simple to use and affordable.

KarlS said:
Well I don't get this one. It finished about $50 more then I was prepared to pay .
Karl

Lets say this item sold for $1500 and your highest bid was
$1450 then there must of been 2 other bidders.

The guy that wanted it who could of had a max bid of lets
Say $1600 which you won't know. The other bidder then
Outbid you and his max was $1499 and the guy that wanted
It got it at $1500 by automatically outbidding the other
Guy because his max bid was $1600.

Wolf and Twapster. I appreciate your input . I was not aware of F1A4 until I had read Twapster tread. This kind of detector will do me to supplement 705. I'm prepared to pay max $600 for it, including postage. As for mods, the price is just laughable . As retired electronics technician I can do all mods myself . Any commpet tech should be able to do those mods for couple hundred dollars and make good profit.
Karl

KarlS said:
Well I don't get this one. It finished about $50 more then I was prepared to pay .
Karl
I had been watching this and let it go. No point bidding against someone from the forum. Sad to hear you didn't get it buddy. There will be more for us, I wonder what the army got for them? Some of there scrap metal removal came through our yard, honestly the rate they decommission things (not having a go here) is amazing. Probably the same with the F1A4 to.

Yeah, previous once from this seller went for 560 and 570. Let me know if you going to bid on one, I won't bid against you. I recon that 600 bucks including postage is fair price for it.
Karl

Cheers mate. Just shoot me a pm, been trolling Ebay since i got the idea in my head to get one. Sa was too far to go for the next closest price but i saw this one and waited it out. I only left it be so noone got stuck in a bidding war. They seem to come along pretty often, and I'm in no great rush, so just let me know if one catches your eye.

Latest posts