Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fellow prospectors, Ron speaking and a Newbie at detecting. My partner and I are full time travellers and living the dream so gems and gold prospecting has come a hobby we love it there's nothing like finding a quiet bush spot to relax at.
Next stop is up TIBOOBURRA way and this will be our first gold metal detecting adventure with a Garrets AT hope you all approve of the first purchase.
hoping to find some help in areas to prospect in and any other advice would be good.

Hit the drywasher tailings around Easter Monday mate, you will do fine with that machine that way' some areas are hit harder than others but a little rain and a bit of a rake you will find something!

Good luck!

I will be at Tibooburra around the same time . Always come away with 20 + little pieces of yellow stuff .

Hi Sheryl, looks like I will miss you by 2 weeks, will be there 9sept for a week or so. Lovely place & looking forward to it again. You should enjoy it. The 'common' still has its fair share of finds u just have to swing over them. There is a bit of info on PA as a few of us have been there. Good hunting.
Blessings Bill

Hi Sheryl ,

You could do OK with the 2300 but if you want to do better ' swing over the more difficult ground & walk the worse looking areas.
Although it sounds strange , I did better with a VLF then a ML4000 doing this last trip to Tib ! :)

That VLF was a Tesoro Vaquero .

Do your homework before you go to Tibooburra. I am currently at Tibooburra and it was unplanned. Found everything to look the same and it's just daunting trying to work out where to start. Personally I don't like the place as its bare and barren so am leaving after just one day here. There are 2 stations that I know of that you can get onto, one is Mt Stuart which you can purchase access through the corner store at $15 per day per detector operator and there is Gumvale Station which is $10.00 per day per detectorist. I believe you can also camp at Gumvale Station.

Edit: you can get access to Gumvale through the double story hotel in town. And it's bloody cold at night.

If you don't do your homework at school you will fail. If you don't do your homework on goldfields you are destined to fail as well. Tibb is a great place to implement your homework, as even though it's been flogged for the past 20 years, it's hard to go away without finding at least a few small nuggets. Stick to the perimeters of all the known deposits, and stick to small coils or an SDC 2300 and you will be rewarded with some rattles in the jar.

Wal.

Baldy said:
Any idea what the road is like for towing a van..cheers

Good luck Sheryl and drive safely

As for the van road is normally good but depends on the rain, we got caught and spent 5 days rained in at Malparinka.
They opened the road after 2 days for a couple of hours and two road trains jackknifed and road was closed for 2 more days.
This photo was 15/6/2015 , also be aware the penalty for driving on a closed road is $1500 per wheel car and van combined !

Cheers
1439356816_image.jpg

Let's hope it,s been graded,might have a look before it gets too hot..cheers

We've just arrived in Tibooburra up through Broken Hill. The road is good with a lot more bitumen than some of the older signs say, good grading going on. There would be no trouble towing a van at the moment. Weather is good We hope to stay maybe a week. Hope to meet up with some PA members. Sheryl, you must be nearly here!

Arrived this morning from Noccundra , road good. Had 3 hour detection on the Common , 5 little ones in the bottle. Will be out in the morning for another round.