Mary river prospecting Qld.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys bit of an update,
On thursday i went in search of gold on the mary river just pan n hand spade lotsa water... because mary is mostly deep i had to target gullies ,run offs and natural deposits sand bars the early prospector removed most bedrock formations and massive floods have covered the rest. In 2012 we had our 100 year flood which closed alot of mines in the 1900,s and had been declared to dangerous to continue. Qld new saftey legistation...any hoot! It also cleaned up the river leaving fresh deposits i pulled half a gram of floury in 5 pans in one area ( target spots) it wasnt every where as i found out the next day. It isnt easy to find only shallow.
The gullies have fresh out crops so im gona get a detector from me mate happy days. I hit all natural deposit sites from imbil to back of theebine only using road access points(lotsa walking) its a bit of hit n miss i believe its moving down in stages i didnt find any until back of kandanga (dam wall at imbil stopping any movement from deposit site). And nothing till i got to Traveston area 3 or 4 specs per pan in the right spots, left overs from imbil area 1900,s. So i went 50kms down stream of gympie looking for the gympie left overs and bam found it!! 1km north 1km south you wont find any colour at all its in that one spot hence moving down in stages cant even imagine what is tucked in those 20 foot plus holes doted along the way. Nice couple of days very edjamacationalable but absolutly buggered...didnt see not one snake but i wasnt sneaking around either.. peace out guys

Yeah i need to learn how to takem n post.
Technoligy n me dont mix... lots of papper n floating gold guys so hard to pan out i had to use dishy liquid kept loosing it.
Took me 3 attempts to separate it but i got it...micro fine me eyes will never be the same.
The only reason my sluice caught it. was poor flow and it was laying down 1inch drop messy day.
I will ask the mrs next time to snap a pic n post for me.

Hi Yob, I'm a novice so please bear with me,
Do you need a license to fossil in that area or at all?
I live in that area & have taken my kids to the river & we have all had a crack at panning not know if we are breaking any laws, so far its just been for fun but have managed to find a speck or 2, which gave the boys a tickle & now want to go more often so I thought I'd better look into what regulations are involved.
Can you point me in the right direction?
Sorry for hijacking your post mate,
Kind regards Hugo

Hugo said:
Hi Yob, I'm a novice so please bear with me,
Do you need a license to fossil in that area or at all?
I live in that area & have taken my kids to the river & we have all had a crack at panning not know if we are breaking any laws, so far its just been for fun but have managed to find a speck or 2, which gave the boys a tickle & now want to go more often so I thought I'd better look into what regulations are involved.
Can you point me in the right direction?
Sorry for hijacking your post mate,
Kind regards Hugo
Hi mate, go to the information centre near the gold museum they will have everthing u need. The mary is hard work unless you have a highbanker...deep creek would be better to keep the lads happy "tickled pink". Or yellow hahaha
Good luck if ya need some help pm me happy to be of assistance

Latest posts