Marking Maps - What to use / How to store

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all

In the event of perhaps a silly question, I was curious what you mark any of your paper maps with and also how do you store them ?

Why I ask is I am slowly acquiring a range of paper maps both Topo and Geo that I have for reference and general information. I do find that all of the map makers seem to use different size folding patterns so to keep them in something neat is getting impossible. Any ideas or photos of how you keep your maps would be great.

The second part is writing on the maps, I would assume you use a pencil, but is there a better type to use than others. Perhaps softer and thicker opposed to pointy. Do you use a different colour and do you mark anything of interest on them as well.

Seeing everything seems to be digital these days I am keen to keep old records and information for future reference etc... Any tips appreciated.

The only silly questions are the ones you don't ask. :D

Go to Australia post and get a poster roll tube and keep them in that.

Don't mark the maps, get transparency film from office works and use a marker pen to highlight features you are interested in. Place key marks so you can properly align the transparency. If your map goes missing the transparency is still good and you haven't given away your best spots to some map thief. The transparencies are no good to anyone unless they work out which map they belong too.

Hope it helps :D

Use Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent Map Marking Pens - Super Fine Point as your map marking pens. You can create layers of overlays as well. One method I use is to place the map on a large pin board secured to a wall. Align the map plastic sheet overlays as described above using cross-hairs of intersecting grids. The different layered plastic overlays can be contours/watercourse, one for reefs and working etc. You can even highlight your areas of interest with photos of target areas pinned to the side of the map. In the end, your gold research area will look like a command post. Storing as above - map tubes / mailing tubes. I simply mark the end of the tube with numbers that cross-reference to a list of whats in it.

For full sized maps, I use Grafix Clear-Lay Acetate which can be expensive (A1, about $10), but if you are using several maps for source data, I find it better to have a single large overlay. For small scale overlays, the A4 stuff from Office works is fine.

For A4 and A3 sized maps, I have bought plastic page insert books- get the ones that will not stick to anything inserted in them. You can actually mark the pages on these working maps. The issue with large scale maps is wear and tear in the field, so be prepared to buy new maps after a while. I now tend to create maps on my computer and print the target area in A4 or A3 and use the insert books.

If you are ever out in the field with a map, you should have a map cover to protect it. However, there have been times I've "Had" to scribble on a map when in the military. The only thing I would ever use to write on a map is a pencil of no harder than H and preferably a HB. The lead is soft and if you don't press hard, the markings will rub off when gently erased.

Otherwise as above with the lumocolour on mylar film or a plastic sleeve.

Thanks heaps for your responses, it seems there was more too it than I thought. If anyone is happy to post some pics would be good.

If you want to overlay your protectors on different maps so nothing matches but just to see how you do it would also be appreciated. I have picked up some supplies and will be field testing this week. I think I need some better maps though. Mine are a bit large for details etc...

Appreciate the help.