Maps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone know where this map would come from
Do you mean what type of a program might have created it?

If it was Victoria I would have guessed maybe GeoVic if someone had pressed the "show in Google earth" button.

Not sure what state gov geo/minerals site you have in Queensland

I'm sure it isn't Trilobite as I have never seen the 'Write a description for your map' thing on it.

It might just be Google Earth and someone has overlayed a file with known gold locations.

Another Queenslander might be able to help more. Good luck đź‘Ť

Where did you get the map from in the 1st place to be able to take the screen shot in your original post 🤔 you didn't give much information.

Glad you got it sorted, best of luck with the hunt. Personally I wouldn't buy these maps.

bought qld maps, fingers crossed
Mmm, be interested to see if they are any good. At least if they aren't they are only $15-$20.

Between GeoVic for Victoria and Geoview/Tengraph for W.A. and then Trilobite for using out in the field I can't imagine that these maps provide much more. With the generally very detailed reef, lead, shallow workings info and then the over-layable geology data and the ability to import different files to overlay and then the ability to export all of that to use in the field, we are pretty lucky with the resources at our disposal.

Be good if you can report back Ron re: their usefulness đź‘Ť

These Google Earth Maps used to be sought after 10 to 15 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if this forum provided links to free sources back in the early 2010s. They are another indicator source of location. Other programs mentioned above are very worthwhile and I'd tend to get them more than the GE maps these days.

Mmm, be interested to see if they are any good. At least if they aren't they are only $15-$20.

Between GeoVic for Victoria and Geoview/Tengraph for W.A. and then Trilobite for using out in the field I can't imagine that these maps provide much more. With the generally very detailed reef, lead, shallow workings info and then the over-layable geology data and the ability to import different files to overlay and then the ability to export all of that to use in the field, we are pretty lucky with the resources at our disposal.

Be good if you can report back Ron re: their usefulness đź‘Ť
Bought qld map for $5.49. it really doesnt have much info apart from general info as to where one could go to try, apart from that, nothing. Im very new to this and am not familiar with more detailed mapping tools. very generic info is on this map, not sure if worth that $5

Attachments

• GEarth.png
    GEarth.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
the original pic was from a thread posted by a banned member https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...rFcFWh9P17NHObh2NREbm2LsQth_aVjL9jNpYFSAauOK4

I bought it just to get something to start with but yes its not worth that $5.

Ron, I think this is on a disk that was sold by Bill and Udo in Cue WA. As far as I know Bill has retired but the website is still there.

https://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/about-us.html

I bought their disk many years back and I have no idea where it is now.

the original pic was from a thread posted by a banned member https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...rFcFWh9P17NHObh2NREbm2LsQth_aVjL9jNpYFSAauOK4

I bought it just to get something to start with but yes its not worth that $5.
Ah yep Marksman was good at posting maps for the benefit of those who asked questions, mostly people new to the hobby. Not sure where Ken (7.62 Marksman) got them from. He posted different locations from time to time covering multiple states.

Someone know where this map would come from?
Have a look at Queensland Globe. In NSW thry use 6maps but Qld call theirs Globe. You should be able to cross reference your snapshot with the globe map west of Mackay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search for a kmz file type of old mine sights. This over lays onto google earth. It will show you where all the old old mine sites are. You tap on the yellow dot and it will give you the information on the mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230412-115313_Earth.jpg
    Screenshot_20230412-115313_Earth.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230412-115520_Earth.jpg
    Screenshot_20230412-115520_Earth.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 0
In QLD you are restricted to three ( I think) fossicking sites. To go to those sites you have to get authority from owner or lease holder

Latest posts