Looking at the old timers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was crouched over a pan the other day and thought "How on earth did the old timers get here? No road, no 4x4 to get them to the site and definitely no GPZ or Google Earth to make life easy. Gee they were tough old dudes. That got me thinking about the work they must have put in to find the gold.

Alluvial gold I can get my head around. A shovel and a pan would soon be able to indicate whether a creek holds gold or not. But finding the source of the gold is a little more difficult to understand.

I decided to leave most of the gear at home and take a pan, a pick and a piece of modern technology (iPad) and just "look." It's amazing what you can see if you take the blinkers off.

The first move was to walk a stretch of my favourite creek to see what I could find. Looking at some bed rock and some large boulders had me thinking "I wonder what's up on top? Would the old timers have looked up there?"
1498285764_img_0161.jpg

When I got the the top of the bank, I had a bit of a scout around and this is what I saw.
1498286124_img_0163.jpg

Iron bark trees. They usually grow on ridge lines or in shallow, rocky or infertile soil. After looking a little more, this is what stood out

1498286493_img_0164.jpg

There was evidence of quartz everywhere. In many places it was covered in leaf litter but was easily uncovered. Some of the quartz showed interesting colour:
1498286739_img_0168.jpg

Looks like iron stone to me (need some help from the experts on the forum to educate me)

And then finally what I was looking for:

1498286955_img_0162.jpg

The old fellas had been up there loaming. I assume that they would have taken a sample and panned it out to see if there was any evidence of gold. I decided to take some material from the benched area and see what it looked like.

1498287356_img_0165.jpg

Clay covered gravel of varying sizes. After washing the gravel this is what showed in the pan:

1498287528_img_0166.jpg

Quartz, iron stone, shale and a variety of other material that I can't identify. (Where are the geologists when you need them? Help me out here.)

Some of the quartz showed evidence of mineralisation.

1498288109_img_0167.jpg

After panning out the material only one small spec of gold was present (too small to photograph.)

I followed the creek about 50 metres up from the bank and saw evidence of loaming at regular intervals. It's funny how "seeing is believing." It was much clearer now as to what they were doing. If the prospectors found evidence of gold In their pans, they would start test panning up the slope until they were able to find the source of the gold. So clever yet so simple.

Anyway, time to get back to splashing around in the water. Please comment on anything that is not correct in the post. There is so much to learn and there are so many of you out there with an extensive knowledge of prospecting.

Cheers for now

Les

The old work that you've pictured above is sampling, but not actual 'loaming' as such. From the accounts that I've read, loamers typically took lots of very small samples - a single shovelful would have been plenty for a dish - panning each one off immediately and extremely carefully, taking note of the number of specks of gold (if any) per pan. When the specks in the gully ran out, they continued up the slope that still showed colours, working across the slope so as to narrow down the run and following the best results up-slope to the source. I would think that all traces of this painstaking work would be invisible today.

Thanks grubstake,

That's why I put this post up. To learn a bit and to help others who are in a similar situation to myself. I appreciate your thoughts and knowledge. I agree with your final comment. It would be helpful to have this information today.

Cheers

Les

Lesgold said:
Thanks grubstake,

That's why I put this post up. To learn a bit and to help others who are in a similar situation to myself. I appreciate your thoughts and knowledge. I agree with your final comment. It would be helpful to have this information today.

Cheers

Les

Good on you mate for getting out and having a go and going through a process of investigation. Grubstake is correct in his summation but what you saw would of been done reasonably often by the old timers including digging costeans at regular intervals in likely looking ground looking for prospects.
Enjoyed your story .

GT :)

Hi Nucopia,

So true. The old timers had to find gold to put food on the table and worked at their trade 24/7. We are lucky as we do this for fun.

Cheers

Les

Hi Lesgold and thanks for posting,It really does give you a look at how the gold was followed and found, is that in Victoria ?

Cheers and again thanks for the photo's.

I often wonder how much of the old time diggings were done by goldfever newbies with no idea hoping to strike it rich, i have seen diggings that just make no sense , just like modern day gold fever newbies highbanking topsoil out of the water coarse lol.

Latest posts