Kiewa Valley Towonga

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a holiday cabin at Mt Beauty & have heard stories of gold mining at Towonga

Does anyone have any further information regarding the mining at Towonga?
I am a very keen gold prospector & intend to pan on the West Kiewa River
I would like to investigate the diggings at Towonga

Any help is appreciated

Dirty Harry

Rob,

Thanks for your reply

I have been to the Ovens River & done quite well
I have also been to Morses Creek at Wandiligong & while patchy have also done OK

The big crusher plant on the Kiewa River at Towonga was not built for fun
I guess the old timers crushed ore from the Kiewa or surrounding hills

I have caught plenty of trout inthe Kiewa but never gold
I guess the best thing to do is to get out there & have a go

I have been fishing high up in the West Kiewa River & now wonder how much gold i walked over
I think it is a National Park & prospecting will be illegal
But the lower reaches has plenty of bed rock & may contain gold
Once again i guess the only way to find out is to have a go

Regards

Dirty Harry

Further afield again of course are all the Dargo high plains areas, but most of those areas are not readily accessible via vehicles, as the mining was mainly done via horseback or walking, late in the 1800's.

I am going further afield myself this Easter, not expecting to find much, but am interested in some of the old mining areas out there and how the bush has recovered from the mining days.

Rob.

You might want to check the Exempted Stream list before heading to the Kiewa River as i am 99 % sure the Kiewa is on the list, which means you can,t prospect in it.
Also the Ovens is on that list too so you can,t do that one either.

Swinging & digging said:
You might want to check the Exempted Stream list before heading to the Kiewa River as i am 99 % sure the Kiewa is on the list, which means you can,t prospect in it.
Also the Ovens is on that list too so you can,t do that one either.

Correct, Kiewa itself is exempt, but many of its feeder streams are ok. I am not heading in that direction, but somewhere more remote.

Rob.

Hey Dirty Harry
I Live and have grown up in Mt Beauty, (but have only recently started to get into prospecting).

As a couple of other members have pointed out, the rivers are on the exempt list and tributaries are in the national park,
but from what i have known and researched, there realy is not enough gold to worry about looking in the rivers or streams anyway.
The west kiewa only had one reef found in its shed, and that was the red robin mine, it took Bill Spargo, 20 years of tracing minute traces up the west kiewa to finaly find it.
The west kiewa is now part of the Kiewa hydro scheme (so gets diverted and regulated), so hasnt been flushed in the last 60 years,
There are old stories, of some of the early hydro workers trying there luck, but with very little reward.

The Tawonga mine was situated up behind the old Bogong pub at Tawonga, there are two main shafts that go into the hillside, one would be about 600m and the other close to 1Km, but to this day i still cant find any record, or even stories of any gold being pulled out.
Iv'e done some test panning at redbank, (20km form Beauty) and have only ever found the finest flour gold and only a couple of specks, my conclusion is that there is gold in the valley, but it shed very early in evolutionary terms and is sitting in the bottom of the valley (two hundred + feet down).

The (Crusher) at tawonga was owned by the Hamiltons, and was a sand and gravel quarrie, that supplied the needs of the early hydro scheme and local tradies.

if you are in the area and want to catch up give me a PM.

best of Luck
Boyd

Boyd

I have been holidaying at Mt Beauty for 20 years & never realised the extent of the gold field in the North East
I cant believe the size of the dredges that worked the Ovens valley & the carnage they caused
It is no wonder the authorities banned dredging

In my personal opinion i cant see any thing wrong with panning or small sluicing in our rivers
As long as any mess made is repaired

It seems to me that little gold was found in the Kiewa Valley
At least i now know what the crusher was used for at Towonga
I knew the Kiewa at Redbank had a small amount of gold but was unaware of anywhere else in the Kiewa Valley

I will be working a small creek that flows into the Ovens over Easter
I am new to this site & will attempt to send you a PM

Regards

Dirty Harry

I went to the Kiewa Valley over Easter & worked a stream in the Ovens valley with a sluice
We got onto some very nice course gold we actually got 2 small nuggets
In total we ended up with about 3 grams

We tested several other spots including the West Kiewa for no result
As we have cleaned out our hot spot i am looking for another

Regards

Dirty Harry

Latest posts