Kandos nsw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
It looks like my brother is moving to Kandos. Is there any gold worth detecting there?

Probably not. There is an area of reef mining in Clandulla State Forest but don't know much about it only its not an area otherwise known for gold. Have heard of specimen gold being found around Ilford (Sofala side) but would think the best option from Kandos would be the Sofala area.

mbasko said:
Probably not. There is an area of reef mining in Clandulla State Forest but don't know much about it only its not an area otherwise known for gold. Have heard of specimen gold being found around Ilford (Sofala side) but would think the best option from Kandos would be the Sofala area.
Ok thanks. I have just spoken to him on the phone and he said he will be renting there for a while but is looking to buy a property in Gulgong about 250 acres.

It looks like my brother is moving to Kandos. Is there any gold worth detecting there?

kandos is only a few k south of rylstone where there was a brief flash of gold interest according to wikipedia

1894 - Gold discovered in Rylstone area, gold showing freely through reef, a gold rush results, 21 August 1894
1897 - A 70 oz gold nugget was found between Stony Pinch and Appletree Flat

there is a fair amount of quartz gravel scattered around both towns but the parts im familiar with are on the far side of the main road from the known gold areas closer to hill end / sofala

Not much gold there its mostly limestone and coal, however there are better places a short trip away 30-50 minutes from Kandos is Sofala - Hill End - Gulgong - Sunny Corner.
The areas you have mentioned above are heading towards Mudgee.

I looked at this area not too long ago again after seeing some obscure information about gold diggings along the Cudgegong River close to Rylstone. I can't find any solid evidence of this though apart from finding a few gold mines that were close to where Windamere is now & may in some cases now be under water. Again at least one of these is on the Mudgee side & is underwater.
The closest gold activity to Rylstone that I can find is a small area south of Dungaree, also near Windamere, which is visible on Google Earth etc. but private property. The closest more prominent gold activity I can find is the Lue area also pretty much all on private land.

Latest posts