just one bit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
My names dave and im from Melbourne, about 10 years ago my dad got himself a hobbie farm up near dunolly, we run a few cattle and sheep but mainly its a place to go and relax. We have spoken to locals and some say theres still a bit of gold to be found in the area, i mentioned it to my wife who has 0 hobbies at all and she wants to give it a go. Im picking up the new minelab gold monster in 2 weeks (i cant afford most detectors $$$) so i hope these are ok.
we know nothing about gold and need some honest info on where to look.
If anyone can help us out on finding just 1 little bit ill owe you big time!
Im a mad fishermen and i know a hot spot is top secret, not asking to give up your spot, just what areas to look around.

Thanks heaps everyone

Check your Dads hobby farm first, as there'll be no competition involved, and you and your wife can learn your machine on home ground.
Welcome to the forum too. :)

Do plenty of reading on the forum , theres plenty of helpful topics to educate yourself, theres a search icon in the top left of your screen , type in keywords like what to look for .
being a afordable detector usually means you wont get alot of depth so look for areas without topsoil or areas that have been dug out or eroded in the past , you will find gold its just a matter of getting clever .
Good luck :Y:

Welcome aboard, mate. And as silver has said, that hobby farm is the obvious first place to look.

In that locality, plenty of old, shallow alluvial gold workings have been eroded and/or ploughed over in the more than 150 years since the early gold rushes, so your sheep and cattle could be walking over gold every day! You don't need a detector to get out and scour the paddocks visually, looking for possible old creeklines, backfilled gullies, unusually scatterings of rocks on the surface, light-coloured patches in the surface soil and water-worn rocks (particularly quartz). All of these around Dunolly are indications of old, worked ground where gold was found and might still be lurking.

You can also use Google Earth to get a birds-eye view of the property and its surrounds. Old paddock workings/leads can be easier to see from above and you might even spot them in adjacent properties or bushland, perhaps leading towards your Dad's acreage.

Good luck!

WARNING, MANY SIDE AFFECTS WILL HAPPEN!
So many junkies started with just one bit!...... it's pretty addictive stuff your messing with! :D
#constant sleepless nights planning your trip away
#constant googling
#chucking sickies on a friday to get away sooner
# constant dissorder using a magnifying glass looking at your finds
#feverish behavior
;)

Latest posts