It's not a hobby. It's an obsession

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
Hi all
Been a member on this forum for a little while now but thought I'd finally say hi. I live in Canberra but I'm from Parkes originally and plan on trying a few spots around there. I only have a few pans and a vintage Garrett detector but enjoy getting out. Finally got out to oallen on Sunday and was happy with how I went. Didn't get much but met shivan who was happy to say hello and gave me a pointer of two. I'm currently in the market to buy a whites GMT but after having a pan at oallen I may just invest in a highbanker as well.

Cheers
Greg

Great to see your jumping in boots and all Greg. A new GMT and possibly a hi-banker is a sure sign that a fever is on the horizon. Best of luck and look forward to catching up on the stream and exchanging stories.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks wal. Your part to blame for this fever after Watching a few of your vids on YouTube ha ha. And hope to run into you up there one day.

Cheers
Greg

Let me know when you venture out in the Canberra region. Good chance we'll be out that way as well and can meet up. Will be over in WA for a couple of months swinging a detector but usually prospect "reasonably" local.

Cheers Wal.

Gday Greg
Have you got out to your Pops old patch yet? Would be good to hear you get some from there.
Best of luck

G'day Greg, was great to meet you and have a bit of a chat :cool:
We did rather poorly as well but was just great to get outdoors for a bit and any gold is good gold.
My back was feeling it at the end of the day, guess that means i need to get out more often :rolleyes: ;)

G'day Greg Welcome to PA!

You are in good company here, many knowledgeable folk who share the hobby/obsession :)

MTMM

Thanks guys. Look forward to seeing you all down the track. Haven't tried my pops old spot yet. I work 6 days a week most weeks and getting up there sometimes can be a struggle. But I will let you know how I go and post some pics of my finds no matter how big or small.

Greg

Shivin. When I master the GMT maybe I can tag along as an offsider and help pick out the streams of black sand for ya ;)

Greg, your welcome along any time :D
Wish i would have thought of it on the day but we had our spare highbanker in the car we could have lent you for the day :|
Did not end up setting it up as we forgot a second shovel :8

Greglz86 said:
Hi all
Been a member on this forum for a little while now but thought I'd finally say hi. I live in Canberra but I'm from Parkes originally and plan on trying a few spots around there. I only have a few pans and a vintage Garrett detector but enjoy getting out. Finally got out to oallen on Sunday and was happy with how I went. Didn't get much but met shivan who was happy to say hello and gave me a pointer of two. I'm currently in the market to buy a whites GMT but after having a pan at oallen I may just invest in a highbanker as well.

Cheers
Greg

Is RIO still operating the North Parkes copper / gold mine ?

I did some work up there back when Noah was in carpentry school , from memory RIO just shipped the copper / gold concentrate off to Japan and let them process it .

gold was about $ 375 an ounce back then so they might have a different philosophy now

All good mate. I'm going to try and get the Missus out of bed for the next trip. But In saying that I may not get out there till the evening ha ha :p

Not sure what's happening in the mines these days. Been out of town for a while and never worked there myself. Not many jobs in the mines for cabinetmakers ;)

Greg

Hey shivan. Been stumbling across your vids on YouTube. I see now what you mean now when you said you did poorly ;) was worth the watch.

Greg

G'day Greg, it can pay to test pan ;) But some days we are just lazy :rolleyes: Then anything can happen :eek: Went a lot better last weekend.
Hope to catch up again soon.

Ian

I remember you recommended a brand or maker of highbankers. Who was that? I was thinking of buying one in the near future and I'm looking around at the moment.

Greg

Hey Greg it's easier to subscribe to shivan's youtube than stumble across them...
<---subscriber

hey Greg,

Have a watch of WalnLiz youtube video 'how to make a highbanker'...... I had a few ideas and then pinched a few and what a buzz when you capture your own gold.

being a cabinet-maker you can fit some walnut legs to it with catspaw feet......

Haha. I seen wals vids and it did inspire me to make my own. My first thought was just a waterproofed mdf box. But it would be way to heavy. I then just thought of making a mould and getting my brother to make one out of fiberglass. (Still thinking of doing this in the future. ) but after the mould and getting it to him and paying him to do it (and if his boss would let him) it wouldn't be worth the petrol money and hassle. But then I seen wals cloned highbankers topic under do it yourself and PM'd him and now I may just have something sorted. About to start looking at water pumps soon.

Latest posts