Invited to private property / old gold mine field - should I go ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSellin

Brent
Reaction score
Very easy question, 'Should I go?"

I have been invited to go west central QLD to a private property that has an old gold mine onsite for a weekend. I asked what they are doing and the invite is to take a detector or a pan as its a few hundred acres and has 3 creeks running in it and lots of holes / old shafts around, and you can pan and wade in the water or walk around the place (no walking backwards so they say)

However, I only have an Ace 250, a miners pick, shovel, sieve, and my lucky screw driver. Would it be worth going even if I poke around where the old camp sites were or should I stick to my coin shooting and pass on this as I would be under equipped?

Any advice would be great on those who have been in this situation :)

Thanks,

B

Yeah alright I'll go with you. Hell yes. I would see how you go with the ace and if succeed up hire out the big guns.

cososa said:
Yeah alright I'll go with you. Hell yes. I would see how you go with the ace and if succeed up hire out the big guns.

Hahaha I don't need a sleeping bag buddy :p Have been told it does get cold though at night :p

But with an ACE 250 - would it do anything or should I just go rent a pan and try my luck at that? I did ok at Kilkivan panning for gold round there and got some specks but nothing fancy.

Go or forever regret not going. Opportunities like that don't present themselves to you everyday.

Get yourself a gold pan $20 and test the creeks for gold, if you get any colour showing you know its worthwhile and then set up your next visit with them and go better equipped.

Run your detector over any old mullock heaps around the old mind shafts. Coin and relic hunt around the old camp sites.

Most of all have fun and thank the people for the amazing opportunity they have afforded you. :)

not many people have this opportunity to go on private property that was once gold mine area. even if you haven;t got gear buy a gold pan about $10 at army surplus store & hire Or lend a GPX 4500 or 5000. But don't miss the opportunity.

Even an Ace will pick up a couple of grams+ on a mullock heap!

Latest posts