Introductions!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitangel

Stephanie Munroe
Reaction score
Hi, hello and howdy!

My name is Steph, and for a very long time I have been interested in gemstones. Recently I've taken initiative and started researching all I can on fossicking gems with the intention of - soon - going out into the field and finding them myself to cut. My husband is all worked up over gold prospecting, he's chomping at the bit to get out there and give it a try.

I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and everyone seems so friendly, I'm really looking forward to getting into the community here!

We're based in Victoria, down in Geelong, and would love to hear from other prospectors and fossickers in the area, find some good sites, and if anyone knows anyone in the area who can teach prospecting to my husband I would love, love to hear about it :)

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hi Steph and welcome, I also live in Geelong and have just taken up prospecting , i was originaly intending on looking for gold but have somehow taken a passion to finding old coins and relics . I recently brought a garret at pro waterproof detector that is more suited to coins and jewlery and good in salt water and a highbanker sluice and gold pan kit, I am also saveing for a minelab gpx 5000 ( $6500 !! ). I have been having a look around the brisbane ranges where i found two pennys near some gold diggings ( 1888 and 1885 ) being my first pre-decimal coins i was rapt !! Two days ago i went to a soccer ground in geelong and found a silver cathlic necklass thingy and also stopped at cricket ground in shannon ave and found a 1862 arms token made in melbourne !!! l dont know much yet but would be happy to share what i do !! cheers Rick

Hey Steph, welcome to the forum. I'm in Bacchus Marsh and would be happy to meet up. I'm a newby too and still looking for my first piece of yellow. I don't look for gem stones yet, but I have an old book that says there are some around Blackwood, Trentham, Daylesford and to the south of Ballarat.

John

Rickd said:
Hi Steph and welcome, I also live in Geelong and have just taken up prospecting , i was originaly intending on looking for gold but have somehow taken a passion to finding old coins and relics . I recently brought a garret at pro waterproof detector that is more suited to coins and jewlery and good in salt water and a highbanker sluice and gold pan kit, I am also saveing for a minelab gpx 5000 ( $6500 !! ). I have been having a look around the brisbane ranges where i found two half pennys near some gold diggings ( 1888 and 1885 ) being my first pre-decimal coins i was rapt !! Two days ago i went to a soccer ground in geelong and found a silver cathlic necklass thingy and also stopped at cricket ground in shannon ave and found a 1862 arms token made in melbourne !!! l dont know much yet but would be happy to share what i do !! cheers Rick

Hey Rick, there's some nice finds there. I reckon I've probably played cricket at those grounds in my younger days :)

Would love to meet up one day for a bit of hunting. I'm saving for a 5000 as well.

John

cheers John , just put a few pics of my finds in the coin and relic forum , catch up for a prospect sometime

Hey! Wow, that sounds awesome! (Rickd) I would love to see them, I'll search right now! Relics sound wonderful, times like that I wished I lived in Europe - can you imagine the finds? I too am looking at the 5000. My hubby has gone excited over somewhere offering it for flexirent. I'm waiting ill we learn more about using a detector before I look at getting one :)
(AU fever) omg! Sweet! I've heard, from someone who knows someone who knows someone, that there might be something round steiglitz way, but haven't had it confirmed. Maybe we can go on a gold prospecting hunt sometime :) round steiglitz way :D

Hey Steph, I read somewhere on the 'net that some gold was found at Steiglitz but not a lot. Supposedly there's a deep lead along the Moorabool river but the old timers didn't find much of it and promptly shut down their mines for "greener" pastures further up North. There's probably some good panning there though, would be happy to catch up with you guys there in the near future.

John

G'day Steph,

Spent a bit of time fossicking at Steiglitz when I was a kid the best I ever found was relics at the back of the old hotel- No longer there but do a bit of research & and it may turn up something- the history of the old gold mining town is fascinating.

More recently I have had success at Morrisons and I would suggest you wet a pan there - it often produces colour (of the gold variety) as well as small blue sapphires that turn up in the bottom of your pan- Not cutters but pretty all the same. You often get some really nice cut-able chert (some comes with a red & yellow flash in it)

Good luck with the collecting

Hey dughug :) sapphires? Really? I'll have to get onto that!

Thanks AU fever!

Hi there, I'm also down geelong way and would be happy to help with some good spots to go and have a pan when you make 10 posts you can send a pm, send one to me I'll send you some creek names to start you off

Welcome aboard Steph,
We are all tainted with the same brush here and it is addictive.
Good luck in your future adventures
Cheers
Brad....

Littleazza - thank you very much! That's very kind of you :) I'll get my post count up and message you :)

KGB and Aushunter - Thank you, it's wonderful to feel welcome! :)

Welcome to the forum Kitangel, Between you chasing Gemstones and hubby chasing Gold your weekends are going to be very busy. Great to see that you both have the " Bug " as this will double your enthusiasm. Best of luck and hope you're adventures are rewarding in many ways ...Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts